|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 110 or Next - Page 112
CARLSON, KELLY AND WILDA
Kelly and Wilda Carlson
After leaving school, Clifford Carlson worked at home on the farm and, after his father's death in 1952, he took it over. He owned operated the farm for some time, but lived in Erickson. In 1941, he married the former Wilda Anderson.
Kelly became very involved in church and commu nity affairs. After resuming teaching, Wilda taught first at Otter Lake and then in Erickson High School. While teach ing, she continued her studies and eventually graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. degree. Wilda values the many occasions on which her former students have shown their appreciation of her interest in them.
Kelly was a member of the Manitoba Pool Elevators Executive Committee and the Board of Directors of the Erickson Co-op. He was active in the Lion's Club and he and Wilda are members of the Erickson Lutheran Church. Kelly sang baritone in the Neepawa Barbershop Quartet and also in the Lutheran Church Male Chorus. For many years he played the violin with Kelly's Melody Makers, a dance orchestra which he organized. Kelly worked many hours at the curling rink. In 1982, he was presented with an award given for 'Dedication to Curling Events in Erickson, 1974 - 1982'.
Kelly sold the farms to Russell and Kaye Tiller. Their son, Ken Tiller, and his wife live on the farm.
Editor S Note: Wilda passed away in July 2000.
CARLSON, HENRY AND EMMA
In 1984, Emma was still living in her farm home where she had been for seventy years. She was in her ninety-first year when the Municipality of Clanwilliam celebrated its Centennial and in good enough health to enjoy many of the activities, especially riding in their Gray Dort car in the parade.
H Carlson S 1918 Gray Dart Car
Another highlight was when, on the arm of an R.C.M.P. officer, she was recognized by the local Legion as a Silver Cross mother. She was presented with a Commemorative Name Certificate that stated that a large bay on Kustra Lake in northeru Manitoba had been named after her son, Rfn. Gordon L. Carlson, of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. She was also presented with a plaque recognizing her as one of the few citizens over ninety years of age. She was never comfortable with this, however, as she had not come to Canada until 1904. There were several residents boru here before that, some in the previ ous century, who had lived here all their lives and received no recognition whatever.
She remained in her home, except for periodical stays with family members, especially in the winter months, until the winter of 1988, when she entered the Erickson Hospital. That spring she became a resident of the Sandy Lake Nursing Home. Though nearly blind and hard of hearing, she was still mentally alert so she was able to enjoy and appreciate the visits of family and friends. On her last birthday, her ninety-fifth on September 29, her granddaughter, Heather Carlson, who now lived in the farm home, hosted an afteruoon tea in her honour, her last visit there. After just a year at Sandy Lake, on the moru ing of May 3, 1989, she suffered a stroke and was taken to the Erickson Hospital where she passed away late on the same day. Interment was in the family plot in the Bethel Lutheran Cemetery in Danvers. She had been mercifully spared a lingering, painful death. She died as she lived, a gentle, serene person.
Family lineage of Henry and Emma:
Eruest and Ruth (See history) Harriet (See Lee, John and Harriet) Walter and Hilda (See history) Emma Wallace
Robert and Audrey