This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 216 or Next - Page 218


Steve is the son of John and Katherine Shindela and was bom in Sandy Lake. Helen, daughter of Michael and Anna Borys, was bom in Cedoux, SK. Steve and Helen were married in 1949 in St. Anthony's Church.

They farmed in the Sandy Lake area until 1987, when they built a home in Erickson and moved in 1988.

They have three children. Geraldine married Garry Ferguson and they live in Port Moody, Be. Louise married George Follows and they live in Winnipeg. Leslie lives on and farms the home farm. Steve and Helen have two grand­ children, Cody and Paige.

Steve and Helen are active members of st. Jude's Church. Helen is treasurer for st. Jude's Ladies of the Altar and Steve is on the cemetery committee. Steve also belongs to the Knights of Columbus. Helen is Agriculture Convenor for the Women's Institute and is on the Erickson Crossroads Centre Board. Steve and Helen have done a lot of traveling. They have visited almost every state in the United States, and have been to Hawaii, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, England and many countries in Europe.


Adolph Sillen Family Home

As the Adolph Sillen family moves into the new millennium, they count their blessings and reflect on some family highlights.

Adolph and Emily enjoyed 57 years together on the farm until Adolph passed away at the age of88 on October 11, 1995, when he was laid to rest beside his eldest daugh­ ter, Yvonne, in the Clanwilliam United Cemetery. Adolph's family still sees his smile and hears his laugh while remi­ niscing about the many good times they were able to share. Along with the joys and hardships of farming and raising a family, Adolph and Emily enjoyed neighbourly visits, card games, dancing, and trips together. One of their most

memorable trips was a five-month trip to various places euroute to Australia and New Zealand, which was a gift from Emily's brother and sister-in-law, Dennis and Edwina Marsh. During their life together, they were able to cele­ brate many special milestones. The last big event was the gathering of family, friends and neighbours in honour of Adolph's 80 years on the Sillen farm.

Back row: John, Bill Wickstrom, Brian, Linda Hitchins, Tracy, Myra Mutch, John Mutch, Vana and Kevin Mutch Front row: Dianne, Emily holding Sarah Mutch, Adolph, and Marlene

In 1996, Emily (October 18, 1920) went on a delight­ ful bus trip to Alaska, accompanied by her friend, Sadie Northcott. In 1998, after 60 years on the Sillen farm, Emily decided it was time to move to Minnedosa. She is presently living in the Prairie Oasis Four Plex where she enjoys frequent visits from family and friends, numerous card games, weekly bingo, the making of quilts as well as look­ ing after her comfy home and array of summer flowers. Emily loves spending time at her home in the country that is filled with many fond memories. She continues to be an active member of the Erickson Lutheran Church and community. Emily finds time to travel and makes frequent visits to Winnipeg, Thunder Bay and BC, visiting family members who include her 3 grandchildren and 3 great grandch iIdren.

Adolph and Emily's eldest living daughter, Marlene (Febmary 23, 1942), received her early schooling at Lakelet, Clanwilliam and Minnedosa. Upon graduating from Manitoba Teacher's College in 1961, she began her teaching career in a one-room mral schoolhouse (Grades 1-8) in Oak Leaf School, near the town of Riding Mountain. Here she met her husband, John Mutch, at an old-fashioned Valentine Dance held in the schoolhouse. They were married on July 25, 1964, and moved into a tiny wartime home in Sanford with an outhouse and no mnning water. In 1967, they bought a bungalow in Fort Garry, Winnipeg that is still their home today. After teaching for 25 years, Marlene decided to attend university in the evenings and