This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book Volume Two. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 44 or Next - Page 46

to a schoolhouse to start a fire in the heater and had used gasoline that exploded and caught his clothing on fire. He ran outside but was unable to save himself.

The Parsonage

The parsonage was four miles East of Clanwilliam.

The church was only a few rods away and the cemetery was on the far side of the church. This property was in a beautiful wooded setting and was separated from the road by a white picket fence. The house was a two-story build­ ing with kitchen, dining room and parlor on the first floor, plus a pantry and hallway. There were three rooms upstairs. Other buildings were the usual farm necessities: bam, garage, woodshed and outhouse. Former pastors had had horses and a cow.

It was fun unpacking our things and getting settled in our first home. Myrtle Hanson and friend, Katherine Sverdmp, came to assist in washing dishes. We heated water on the kitchen range. I put some soap in and it became all cheesy; I didn't realize the water was that hard. It came from the well outside. That's the kind of mnning water we had - the kind one mns for! And, when the well began to disgorge foreign elements, we had more mnning - to Hanson's, about a quarter of a mile away. It made us queasy to think of what we had been drinking, but we were thankful we didn't actually get sick.

The stoves - the kitchen range, wood heater for the dining room, and small airtight heater for upstairs, were all furnished with the parsonage.

Just prior to our coming some of the women of the congregation had been to the parsonage to clean house. They had also left some food for us, which was very welcome indeed! Our parishioners were very kind to us in sharing their farm products. When we visited their homes, they often sent with us cream, eggs, meat, chicken (always dressed, maybe thinking we wouldn't know how to do it), or canned fmit (scarce and expensive). Once we got a box of frozen fish from Winnipeg. We kept this in the big water tank outside the kitchen. That was our freezer in winter and our cistern, in summer, to catch the rainwa­ ter for washing.

Of necessity I learned to bake bread. As long as we could get to Clanwilliam by car we bought our bread. One of the grocery stores had very good bread. During the winter, however, when we had no transportation of our own, it became necessary to bake our own bread. I know mine was not always the best quality but T was learning. One time, Mr. Hanson came over to ask if we had some not­ too- fresh bread to exchange for a loaf of fresh because he was not supposed to eat fresh bread. I was somewhat embarrassed, but thankful I'd had a little better luck with that batch. That fresh loaf was delicious!

Rudolph wanted to have some pets, so what did he do but send for a pair of chinchilla rabbits! He made a pen

for them beside the house for a summer dwelling and a hutch in the garage for winter, each having a separate apartment. When we went on our summer vacation our church janitor kindly gave them a little attention. One day after Rudolph had been to the garage to see how the rabbits were faring he came in and told me to come out and see something. I can't describe how surprised I was to see six new little bunnies! I think their offspring may even now be mnning through the bush!

One day the janitor of our Clanwilliam church, a single man, had coffee with us. We sat around the dining room table. All of a sudden, after a pause in the conver­ sation, I heard a loud smack from Rudolph's lips. He was throwing me kisses, oblivious to the presence of our guest!

Another time, when I was going to call on a neigh­ bor, I came out to where Rudolph was working on the car and said in a very silly, sugary voice, "Do you want to take your Sweetie for a ride?" There, behind the car, was the janitor again! I'm sure he must have thought that we were a couple of sweetiepie honeymooners. I guess we were!

Hans I. Hansons

We were invited to Hans. I. Hansons for our first meal in Clanwilliam and for many more, later. The Hansons became our Canadian parents.

The Hanson's home was about a quarter of a mile through the 'bush' from the parsonage. There was a well­ worn path to their place as we went there to get our milk and, also, water when the well went dry. When Rudolph and I would take these little walks in the evening, after milk­ ing time, Mrs. Hanson would often send a little jar of cream with us. During the winter it would be dark and we needed to use a flashlight, or if the flashlight battery was worn out, we had to feel our way. Sometimes I was a little frightened when the cattle were too close and the big gentleman cow was there.

One May Day stands out especially clear in our minds. After supper we heard a knock on the back door. When we went to open the door there was no one there but there was a big box on the porch and in it was a darling black puppy with white paws. We immediately named him 'Boots'. He didn't stay with us long, however. He found his way back to the Hansons from whence he had come.

Later that same May Day evening the Hansons came with bad news. Mr. Hanson had been out during the day buying cattle. When he came back to Clanwilliam he didn't seem to know anyone or remember anything that had happened. Evidently he had been butted by a cow and had gotten a slight concussion. There were anxious hours but he did recover.


The summers were delightful! The days were long, the air light and temperature very moderate. We often ate