|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 103 or Next - Page 105
Confirmation Class Scandinavia Lutheran Church, 1910. Back Row: O.N.E. Holm, Edgar Miller, Cecilia Johnson, Oliver Johnson, Mary Sillen, Edward Nystrom. Seated: Agda Johnson, Rev. Zaar, Carrie Johnson.
more representative of Scandinavian church architecture, with bell and tower and was dedicated by Dr. L.B. Bergstrom June 29,1913.
The church bell in Scandinavia was donated by a Lutheran church in Moores Prairie, Minnesota. Mr. Frank Hillstrand hauled it up to the church by horses and sleigh from Minnedosa. hi 1959, it was moved to the Erickson Church by Albin Gustafson who at that time had the Erickson transfer. The weight of the bell was 1790 pounds.
Services were held in Scandinavia through the years. In 1901, there were 128 members, 69 confirmed and 59 children. There were 12 confirmands that year, 4 wed dings and 13 funerals. This was probably about the time of the diphtheria epidemic which took many lives in the community.
In 1916, Beda Sjoberg (Mrs. Arthur Munson) held Sunday School classes in the various homes in the Hilltop and Lakelet districts.
Sunday services were usually held during the summer months and until Christmas, when the "Julotta" service was held Christmas morning at six o'clock.
A children's program was always held on Dec. 27, at 4 p.m. so that everyone could enjoy the candles and Christmas tree. Candies and apples were distributed to
children and adults, and a social hour followed with lunch served by the ladies in the church basement.
Lent was observed by having mid-week services in the various homes, with usually a good attendance even though horses and sleighs were the only means of transportation.
The Dorcas Ladies Aid held their meetings in the evenings with an attendance of anywhere between thirty and fifty people, as the ladies brought their husbands and families. It was a social event enjoyed by all members of the family.
Ice cream socials were held during the summer evenings, with real home-made ice cream. Also, various types of bake sales and the Annual fowl supper were held at the church. In later years the meetings were changed to the afternoon. Lunch and a social hour followed. The ladies organization of the Scandinavia church was called Dorcas Ladies Aid, and was very active until 1959 when they joined the Martha Ladies Aid of Erickson and became the Augustana Lutheran Church Women with forty charter members. The first president was Viola Miller, Vice-President - Ingeborg Sundmark, Secretary Edna Sjoberg, Treasurer - Millie Stitt. In 1969 they amalgamated with Bethel Lutheran Church and became Evangelical Lutheran Church Women.