|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 114 or Next - Page 116
affiliated with the L.F.C. Women's Missionary Federation and received its charter. Minutes were recorded in Norwegian until 1937 though much of the discussion was in English. The meetings always had a devotional emphasis as well as the conducting of business. It is said women's organizations can create more ways to raise funds than any other group and these women were no exception. They faithfully supported any project in the congregation, especially building funds, and were equally concerned about sharing in Home and Foreign Mission needs. They believed that only a giving church can be a growing church. As times and tran sportation improved it became a regular part of the program to attend conventions in both the Rugby district and of the W.M.F. which was always held at the same time as the general L.F.C. conventions in cities in the Northern U.S.A.
The Bethel Young People's Society (later Luther League) was also organized before the congregation. In March, 1906, at a meeting at P.O. Berg's, the Danvers Y.P.S. came into being. Before the church was built meetings were held in the homes in the community on Sunday afternoons once a month. They enthusiastically took on various projects in the building and furnishing of the church, the first being the erection of a fence around the cemetery and church grounds. For most of its years the second Friday evening of the month was League night. These programs were conducted by the young people but always well attended by the families of the congregation. On affiliation with the National Luther League Federation, it became a highlight for those who Here able, to attend inspirational youth conventions in vlinnesota. Albin Paulsen was often the one who gave :he needed transportation to these events. There were ilso trips to rallies in the Rugby districts and later in the vlanitoba Conference of the A.L.C. Canada district.
By 1914 the Cheerful Worker's Society was organized for the young women of the church and any others in terested. For several years it was the custom to do two hours of handwork before having a brief devotional and business meeting, the idea being preparation for an annual bazaar. This gradually changed to a program of more devotional emphasis, which led to regular Bible studies. With the affiliation with the W.M.F., materials were available to both women's groups for worthwhile programs for their use which were both inspirational and educational, This group also supported the needs of the local church as well as the mission program. During the Iifficult years of the depression it became more and more necessary to assist in the church finances and for several years the goal was to raise $100.00 per year for its budget. With improved financial conditions however, support for various projects at home and abroad were resumed. The .ociety did not remain as a girls' group, but usually had for its members the younger wives and mothers, whereas .he Mission Society was mainly the older women. In later years they functioned as two circles, one evening and one afternoon. Trips to conventions were shared as well as nuch of the programming.
From 1947 for fifteen years or more a girls' Mission oand, "The Little Sunbeams", met regularly and learned about the mission fields of the church and its needs. A
Boy's Mission Band also functioned for a time in the mid '50's. In the early years of the church there was also an active Temperance Society.
Because of the inability of the Bethel and Immanuel Parish, and the Bethlehem Church in Erickson to adequately support a pastor and the work of the church, a Federated Parish was organized in 1957. In ten years time the first, and still the only autonomous Lutheran church in Canada, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada (B.L.C.C.), came into being. On October 13, 1968, a new congregation, the Erickson Lutheran Church was officially organized as a member of the E.L.C.C. Many of the Bethel families became charter members. It was with a great deal of heartache that the members experienced the gradual closing of the church that had been the spiritual home and the society centre of the community for so many years. The last services were held in 1970, and the last confirmand entered in Bethel records was Marie Nylen in 1969. An Easter Sunday sunrise service and breakfast has become a tradition. Oc casionally weddings and funerals are held there as well as family gatherings and the Erickson Sunday School picnic. The last members were gradually assimilated into the Erickson Lutheran Church and the work and fellowship goes on. An organization, the Bethel Lutheran Society Inc. was formed to maintain the church and cemetery. Contributions are given regularly by former members and friends for this purpose. The guest book each year reveals how many drop in from near and far, even other countries, to enjoy this little country church. It stands as a worthy monument to the pioneers of the Danvers district and the younger generations that followed them.
IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH CLAN WILLIAM
In the early days of 1900, a group of Scandinavian families that had immigrated from the United States and settled near the village of Clanwilliam, met and con-
Immanuel Lutheran Church. Clan william.