This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 270 or Next - Page 272

of having her feet frozen when their second house burned in the night and they had to go out in the snow in their night attire.

One hundred years after they came to Manitoba many of their descendents still live in the immediate area, while many are scattered far and wide. At a family gathering in the summer of 1980 to celebrate the Hundred Years in Manitoba about 40 were present and 30 more were not able to come, so Octavious and Emma Averill made a goodly contribution to their adopted country.

Another landmark for which Octavious Averill shared some responsibility was a 'blockhouse', built in 1885 during the Riel Rebellion. Whether or not the fear of an Indian or Metis uprising was very general is difficult to determine now, but the rather pathetic little fortification did exist, probably being converted to a granary or some other use when the danger had passed.

Octavious and Emma's older son, Isaac established a dairy farm at Cowichan, where he lived until his death in 1950.

The third adult who made up the party of seven with the Averill family on the journey to Tanner's Crossing was Emma's younger sister, Mary Peacey, who lived with them until her marriage to Charles Bennett in 1883 or 1884.


by daughter, Edith Crawley

In the spring of 1882, Charles Shillingford Averill, aged 21, walked from Brandon to the home of his uncle, Octavius Averill. Charles worked on various farms in the area, and filed for a homestead on the N .E. of 4-17 -17W, but did not prove up on it. He later bought the S. of 32- 16-18W, and later again bought two 80-acre blocks of the School Section 29-16-18. This farm became known as 'Swallowdale Farm' - and still remains today. For a while Charles' widowed sister, Mrs. Frank Baker, later Mrs. Wm. Drummond lived with him.

In 1896, he married Ellen Woodcock of Bethany. Their first son, Charles, was born in 1897, but died of pneumonia before he was a year old. Their second son, Bernard, died of diphtheria in 1916. Seven of their family grew up, and all remained in this part of Manitoba.

Their eldest daughter, Katherine, married Alex Robertson of Basswood, where they still live on the home farm, which is operated by their second son, Keith. Their older son, James, is Dean of Agriculture at the University of Edmonton. Daughter Kathleen is married and lives in Bermuda.

Daughter Elsie, married William Kingdon Jr., who died in 1975. Elsie died suddenly in August, 1980, leaving a family of eight. Her sons, Charles, James, Raymond and Ian are all residents of this area. The youngest son, Ron, joined the R.C.M.P., and for a number of years was stationed in the Far North, but was recently posted to Portage la Prairie. Daughter Frances McCutcheon lives at Homewood, Manitoba; Betty Iverson at Neepawa and Edith Parsons at Birtle.

Charles and Ellen's daughter Edith married Pax Crawley. (refer Crawley - John and Ethel).

Daughter Connie married Bernard Dagg in 1930 and they had two sons, Walter and Ralph. Bernard died in 1935 and Connie returned to teaching as soon as Ralph was old enough to go to school. She taught at Edna Rural School and also in Minnedosa and Brandon. In 1950, she married Ernest Larson. They lived in Minnedosa, then Brandon, but on retirement they returned to Minnedosa.

Daughter Evelyn married Ronald Firby and they live in the Crocus District, near the Little Saskatchewan River. Their older daughter, Joyce Shaw, lives at Solsgirth. Their second daughter, Donna Gamache at MacGregor and son Bruce lives on the home farm.

Frank did not marry but lives in his own house on the home farm which he and Arthur manage together. Arthur married Tessie Traub, and they have three sons, Reg in Brandon, Harold in Toronto and Stuart in Ot­ tawa.

There are now a number of great-grandchildren.

It has become a tradition to hold an 'Averill Picnic' in Grant Park during the summer when there is a great gathering of the clan.

Charles Averill was a quiet and kindly man, always interested and active in the affairs of the district. He was a Councillor in the R.M. of Clanwilliam before it was divided to form the municipalities of Clanwilliam and Minto. This put his land into Minto Municipality. He spent many years as trustee on the Crocus Hill School District and served on the Vestry of All Saint's Church. His untimely death in 1924, the result of a harvest ac­ cident, was deeply mourned.

Ellen Averill survived her husband by many years, always active in Church and Community life.

She was secretary of the local Red Cross during the 1914-1918 war. She and her neighbor, Mrs. Mcinnes, cut out hundreds of pairs of pyjamas. which were made up by the local ladies and sent to Red Cross headquarters.

Through the drought years of the Thirties, one room of her home was given over entirely to storing and sorting used clothing, to be packed and sent chiefly to the distressed areas of Saskatchewan.

During her last few years she lived chiefly with her daughters, but her heart was always at her beloved 'Swallowdale'. She died in 1959, at the age of 89.


by Frank Averill

I.B. Blake, son of Stephen and Charlotte Averill, was born in England on April 13, 1863. He came to Canada as a young man and obtained S.E. 32-16-18W, south of Erickson, then in the R.M. of Clanwilliam. Blake farmed for a short time and lived with his brother Charles. A hail storm convinced him farming was uncertain. He sold the farm to his brother Charles and sought other work. He served in the Boer War and upon return, he took a job at the Northern Elevator, Erickson, as the first Elevator Agent in the early 1900's. Being a single man, he lived in the Elevator office. When Blake left Erickson for Alberta, he was an Elevator Agent at Smoky Lake and Mayerthorpe until retiring to Calgary, Alberta. A fatal heart attack ended his life on a Sunday morning as he was