|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 286 or Next - Page 288
"he Orville Berg Family. Back Row, Left to Right: Dawn, Valorie, Beatrice, Orville, Cindy and Pete Elias, Judy, Fabian. Front Row: Nancy, vorman, Lori, Orest, Lynn.
BERGESON, EMIL AND HAN SINE
by the Family
Emil Olai Andreas was born on May 15, 1873, at )igerfjord, Vesteraalen, Norway, son of Berge and Ida )lsen. It was the custom to take the father's given name md add "son", hence Bergeson. Hansine Marie was iorn on August 24, 1875, at Kjarringnesdalen, Sigerf ord, Norway, daughter of Hans and Henrikke )anielson. Emil and Hansine were married in 1897.
They emigrated to Canada in 1900 and came to the )anvers area, where Hansine's brother, Hartwig -Ianson, had settled. Emil filed for a homestead on N. W. 10-17-18W on February 7, 1902, received his patent on vlarch 11, 1907. He built a house which was half below md half above ground. In the morning they moved in md a bush fire forced them to move out in the afternoon. .ater they moved back and settled in their new home. jmil worked out at various jobs and in the fall on the lohn Holmstrom threshing crew at Basswood. Hansine vas alone with two girls, which was very scary many
times. Their closest neighbors were the Indians on the Rolling River Reserve. They would come to the house, and neither one understood the other's language or ways. They were good friends and neighbors. They had the same kind of work, problems, and hardships that all the pioneers had. For instance when Hansine became ill, Emil and Martin Bergeson, Otto Halverson and Roman Oleniuk carried her two and a half miles on a litter to the railroad station, then she went to Neepawa on the Hand Car. She regained her health and outlived these four men. Quite a difference to our modern way of life. Their hardships were many, but there were also some good times.
Emil was one of the first trustees of the Erickson school built in 1906. When the Bethlehem Lutheran Church was to be built he helped cut and saw the logs and haul the lumber to the church site. They were also members of the church. Emil was not a well man and on May 21, 1934, he passed away and is buried at Bethel Church Cemetery.
Hansine carried on with the farm for a few years. In