This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 45 or Next - Page 47

rink. Also Marinus Neilson for putting up with us listening to the Saturday night hockey games in his garage, and driving us to many games; Peter Bruce for coaching us and driving us to games; one trip almost ending in disaster. On our way to play at Crawford Park we were going through the Park when the truck broke down. Some of us started walking to Clear Lake and long after sunset and in very cold temperatures we were picked up by Mr. Hyslop the Park Superintendent and taken to the work camp where we were fed and kept until Marinus Neilson came for us. All our parents had an evening of worry.

I was fortunate in being in many plays put on at Scandia Hall. One in particular - there were only three of us in it, the other two being Bernice Anderson and Willie Johnson. In another play I got to kiss Helen Johnson on the cheek, and that took a lot of courage. Also the Christmas concerts were events we all looked forward to.

Who can forget the fowl suppers in the basement of the church where the best food found anywhere was offered in such great amounts.

A visit to Doctor Rutledge to get a tooth pulled has made me afraid of dentists all my life. But his concern for us all in matters other than medicinal make him a man to remember.

A very happy event was a party for our hockey team held in our house Easter 1938. We all had to bring a girl and never will I forget Bill Mackay going to Charlie Hill's house, Bill wanted to invite Elvera. Then on to the Tony Holmlund's where I wanted to invite Mavis. Bill and I regard that night as one of the most scary, but rewarding ones of our life. The party was a great success, my mother, Dorothy and Peter Bruce were chaperones.

The Dawson MacKay family had a great effect on my life. Bill has remained a life long friend as has Ruth, not only did I work at the creamery, run by Mr. MacKay, but I stayed at their home one summer. The MacKay car, a 1931 Chevrolet, was an important part of Bill's and my life and thank goodness gasoline was three gallons for a dollar or we would never have made the show in Min­ nedosa.

Who can forget Doug McCaig and his hockey skills.

Also the manner he treated all us young fellows even allowing us to smoke his pipe, making us sick, and never smoked again.

Erickson lost some fine young men during the last war.

Oliver Haralson went overseas on the Queen Elizabeth I, and we saw a lot of each other in Bournemouth before he left for his squadron. I was greatly saddened at his death. Fred Wickstrom coached our hockey team and was surely one of the most popular young fellows in Erickson.

Everett Rognan and I went to school at Tales and in Erickson. My last visit with Everett was in Winnipeg where his sister Elsie had invited me for dinner. Joe Grodecki was a school mate during my years at Erickson School. Sadly, Joe went missing from my squadron, his crew came and went missing while I was on leave so I never saw him. It was only after I saw his name on the Squadron casualty list that I knew he had been there. Maurice Neilson was on our hockey team and, of course, was one of the participants in our "party". I'm sure he was the youngest of all the men Erickson lost and this was


nearly at the end of the war. Gordon Carlson went to school with us at Tales and I believe he got killed at Arnhem while serving in the army. Erickson could ill afford to lose men of this calibre and many families were permanently affected by their loss.

I will always be grateful for having been raised in Erickson and will always call it my home town.

Letter received from George Erickson in reply to a request for information about the early days of Erickson.

Ranfurly, Alberta November 22, 1950

Dear Mrs. Lee,

When I received your letter requesting information about Erickson, I did not realize that it was quite so urgent, but I had a letter from Bertha (Hall) Anderson and she told me it had to be in this month so I will try to give you what I can remember about Erickson and the people that were living around there in the early days.

I do not really know where to begin as my memory is rather hazy about a lot of things, but as I said in my letter to the Tribune, I remember what was Bergwall's house and when my uncle lived there. His name was Victor Adolfson and he homesteaded that place, but when he proved up on it, he went back to the old country with my grandfather on my mother's side. After that the house was vacant except when some bachelors used to live there in the wintertime and the summer that it was used for a school. I am sorry that I cannot remember all the pupils that went to that school, but I do remember one by the name of Ora Fox. He was the son of the first section foreman's wife. I know that it was not a very big class that first year. I can remember all those that Rhona Neilson mentioned but that is about as far as it goes.

As for the pioneers of the district I think that I can remember most of them. There was a Dane by the name of Knudson that lived on the south end of Otter Lake. He left about 1902 for New Zealand before the railroad came. I cannot say that I remember him, I just remember the name and that he lived there. Then there was Peter Abel who also was there before we came, whom I guess that you know.

Isaac Hart was the first man to set up a business in Erickson. He came shortly after the railroad and started a general store and was there for a few years before he sold out. I can remember him running a bit of a blind pig there, selling hard cider, etc., and I recall one day very well. There was a bunch of fellows there and I guess that they got to feeling pretty good, and started to tease the old man (he was quite old when he came) and he ran upstairs and came down with a big Six Gun to chase the guys out of the store. I had just come in to buy something but when I saw what was going on I left without any purchase. I guess I was the only one to leave as he did not scare the men very much. He sold his store to a man by the name of Gilbert, I think.

I do not know just what year my folks moved to the homestead where Erickson is now, but I think they came