|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 468 or Next - Page 470
Klebeck's, Holmstrom's and Colson Boys.
KNIGHT, GEORGE AND DAISY
by the Knight Girls
George was born in 1896, in Belleville, Ontario, the eldest son of ten children. His father, Charles, was born in 1860, in Sidney, Ontario, and was raised on the family farm where he was when he married Mary Jane Kerr.
In 1907, George moved from Ontario with his parents to the Dunblane, Saskatchewan area, where they homesteaded. George, being the eldest son, was given the task of breaking the first half-section with six oxen and a gang plow. He was of the tender age of ten years at that time but he was a big boy and willing to work.
After serving overseas in World War I, George, with his brother Grant, returned to Saskatchewan each far ming a section of land. On November 3, 1932, George married Daisy Evelyne Jacobs. They were married in Saskatoon with the Mayor of Saskatoon hosting their reception.
Daisy was born on May 13, 1914, in a farm home at Herbert, Sask. the fifth of seven children. Her father, Frank Jacobs, came from Brussels, Belgium, in 1896. He farmed in the Lucky Lake, Sask. area while raising his six girls and one son. Daisy's mother, Mary Barbara Bart zen, was born in 1886, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was married to Frank Jacobs in 1902.
George and Daisy moved from Saskatchewan in 1937, with Geraldine and Charles after years of struggling against the drought. When not enough grain could be grown to even replace the seed put into the ground, George decided to look for 'greener pastures'. He found a farm northeast of Erickson, Manitoba, where the drought was not so severe. Remaining stock and household effects were loaded onto boxcars and shipped to Erickson. Driving the stock from the rail yards to the farm by horseback, proved to be quite a feat as the drought-starved animals stopped to feast on the green grass and were reluctant to move any farther.
George once again began to clear more of his land, this time with a team of horses and a chain, breaking new sod and growing his crops. The unique location of the farm solved some of the necessary chores for the farm family. The Rolling River flowed directly below the barnyard making it especially easy to water the farm animals. Horses, cattle, pigs and chickens all made frequent trips
down the bank to quench their thirst. The pigs, of course, could have their daily mud-baths to keep them coolon the warm summer days! In the winter a hole was cut in the ice from which the stock could drink. As well huge blocks of ice were cut and dragged by team to be buried in the ice-house sawdust to be used for summer refrigeration of cream, milk, butter and meats. Of course the normal routine of milking cows and cleaning barns by hand, went along with the usual round of seeding, haying and harvesting.
In 1941, George joined the R.C.A.F. during the Second World War so the family moved to a home in Erickson where they lived until their move to Clear Lake in 1957. With the end of the War in 1945, George returned home and began a taxi service for Erickson and district. After several other ventures as well, George finally began with the Imperial Oil Bulk Service in the early 1950's. His increase in sales and service earned him the awards for Efficient Maintenance, Substation Management and Agency Operation for the years, 1955, 1956 and 1957. When George and Daisy bought the Park View Cabins in 1957, George commuted to Erickson daily while Daisy operated and managed the Cabin business at Clear Lake. At age 65, George retired from Imperial Oil and assisted Daisy with the Cabins. In 1970, they sold the business and returned to Erickson to spend their retirement years.
George and Daisy raised a family of five children who spent all their formative years in Erickson:
Geraldine Mary was born in 1934. After leaving Erickson, she taught school in the Glenburney area and
Daisy and George Knight. Gerry, Madeline, Charlie, Joyce, and Gloria.