This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 528 or Next - Page 530

Hospital, Winnipeg. She attended school at Gladstone, Manitoba, Erickson Elementary, graduated from the Collegiate. She was a member of the 4-H Beef Club. Leslie was especially involved in figure skating and was one of the first figure skating teachers at the new Arena. She was named Junior Athlete of the Year at the Erickson Collegiate in 1978, and is presently attending the University of Manitoba.

Trenton Clare, born May 4, 1966, at the Grace Hospital, Winnipeg. He attended school at Gladstone, Manitoba, Erickson Elementary and is presently in grade 12 at the Erickson Collegiate. He participates in all sports, especially hockey, and was named Senior Athlete of the Year in 1981. He was a 4-H Beef Club member.

Lachlan William "Lanny" born February 6, 1975, at the Erickson Medical Nursing Unit. Lachlan received his Grandfather and Great Grandfather's name and became the third Lachlan McInnes to reside on the family farm. He is presently in Grade three at the Erickson Elementary school and also plays hockey with the local team.


Both Mr. and Mrs. McKinnon were well known to the community. Neil had the dray in the earlier days and later on was caretaker of the skating rink. Neil was always great with children. He "mended" broken skate laces, found lost overshoes, mitts and scarves.

Mrs. McKinnon took the time and had the patience to teach many of the children how to knit.

Mr. and Mrs. McKinnon had three children, Effie, Hector and Hughena.

Mrs. McKinnon, from a previous marriage, had a family of five children. Of these, three lived for a time in Erickson. (refer to Cummings, W.C. and Gladys). Lillian Cummings, who trained as a nurse and operated a nursing home in Erickson during the '30's', and Dick, who worked in the area until he enlisted in the armed services in World War Two.

Neil passed away in 1953 and Mrs. McKinnon is in the C.N .I.B. in Winnipeg at the age of 90.


by Ruby Lariviere

My grandfather, John McMillan, was born in 1835 in Wallace County near Orillia, ant. immediately after his parents, Alexander Cameron McMillan and Barbara "Lawson" McMillan, emigrated from Glasgow, Scotland, where Alexander had been employed in the shipyards. John was one of ten children. As he grew up he worked as a carpenter. He met Rosetta Childs of Stratford, ant. and they were married on January I, 1868. They had fourteen children, nine of whom survived to adulthood:

Charles, who married Matilda Galbraith. Alexander, who married Amanda Tuttle. Robert, who married Margaret Campbell.

Lyman, who married Annie Johnson of Scandinavia, Man.

William, who married Mary Jane Johnston of Clanwilliam, Man.

Dwight, who married Annie Skullerund of Oslo, Norway.

Anna Mae, who married David Hunter of Clan­ william, Man.

James, who married Engaborg Paulson of Clan­ william, Man.

Philip, who married Alice Johnston of Clanwilliam, Man.

John and Rosetta lived in Proton, Palmerston and Listowel, ant.

As the sons grew up there weren't many jobs for them and hearing of homesteads opening up in Manitoba, 160 acres for $10. in 1898, John, accompanied by three of his oldest sons, travelled by train to Tanner's Crossing, now Minnedosa. Accompanied by a Dominion Land Agent they walked through the bush to approximately three quarters of a mile south of what would later be Erickson, Man. John and his sons took out five applications for patents on five homesteads. He then returned to Listowel, Ont., and in 1900 the family moved to Manitoba to claim their homesteads.

Dwight settled on land later owned by William Crisco; Charles on land later owned by Ernest Shell born and Lyman on land later owned by Charlie Neilson. John, the father, and later his son James settled on land later owned by Emil Shellborn.

Dwight soon moved to Clanwilliam, Man., where he became a butcher and implement agent. Lyman joined the army in W.W.I and was killed in France in 1916. John grew too old to farm and retired in 1910, to Clanwilliam where he resided until his death in June, 1929, at the age of ninety-four. James and Philip were not interested in farming so both got jobs with the CNR as section men until they retired. This left William, my father, born in 1881, who kept his homestead. Although the patent was taken out in 1900 William worked as a hired hand for other farmers until 1907 when he began the hard job of clearing the trees and breaking the new land, preparing it for planting grain. He also built a log house.

In 1908, William McMillan and Mary Jane Johnston were married at Clanwilliam, Man. and took up life at the homestead. In 1909, a daughter, Mary, was born but lived only four days. In 1913, a son, William Clifford, was born and in 1919, a daughter, Ruby Evelyn, was born. William owned a Titan tractor and threshing machine, travelling many miles at harvest time threshing other farmers' grain as well as his own. Each farmer provided a "man and stook team" so all they had to pay was the thresh bill.

William was instrumental in getting the first Pool elevator built in Erickson by going around the com­ munity speaking to other farmers on the subject. He also served periodically as a Trustee for the Westmount School District. He was a lifelong member of the Fraternal Order of Foresters. In 1939, after an illness, William and Mary moved to Erickson where they lived for five years. William worked with others to build the