|This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One
Previous - Page 550 or Next - Page 552
Because of ill health he is also in Brandon and the farm is rented out. Olia died in 1928, Einar in 1965, and Johanna in 1971. All are buried in the Bethel Cemetery.
NELSON, NELS AND ALMA
by Marjorie Tweddell
Nels Eric first visited Canada in the fall of 1910. The following spring he left his homestead at Stanley, North Dakota. He shipped his equipment and livestock by rail to Brandon, Man., and by team from there to Clan william, Man. He /began farming northeast of Clan william.
In 1913 he married Alma Anderson, who had come to Canada from Willmar, Minnesota, in 1911. They moved to the farm on the old "town line", where they both became well known to travellers, from the north to Minnedosa. There was always a ready cup of coffee and rest for a weary team. Day or night a warm welcome was there for all who stopped.
In 1928 they moved to Erickson, where Nels took over the management of Albin Wickstrom's butcher shop for the next two years. In 1930 he purchased a truck and headed for Saskatchewan, where highway construction was in full swing. This became the pattern for the next few years from Regina to the Minnedosa valley. Later, he became a familiar sight as he hauled gravel and grain and delivered fuel for the North Star Oil Company. He worked for North Star from 1938 until he retired in 1950.
The family were all members of Bethel Lutheran Church at Danvers.
They had one daughter, Marjorie. She received her education in the Erickson School. She married Robert Twedell of Fisher Branch and they have two children, Terry and Murray. They lived for a time in Erickson, then moved to Portage la Prairie where they still reside.
Alma passed away in 1951 and Nels in 1956.
NEUPE~T, EDGAR AND EUREKA
by Ina Eigert
Edgar August and Eureka Dorthea came to Canada in 1913 from the United States and they settled in Me Creary, Manitoba where Edgar was a Relief Station Agent. He was transferred to Gladstone, Manitoba and later to St. Laurent, Manitoba. In 1919, Edgar was transferred to Erickson, where he was the first station agent. The railroad station was under construction, so they had to live in two boxcars, joined together, one served as bedrooms, the other was kitchen, dining and living room.
After being an agent for a number of years, Edgar left the C.N.R. and in 1924 built a store on Main Street where the laundramat is situated, he also built a bowling alley on the east side of the store. He carried on in this business for a few years, returning to the United States as a Station Agent for the Great Northern Railway in Montana.
Edgar passed away in 1948, is buried near Cambridge,
Wisconsin, in the family plot. After he left Erickson, Eureka renovated the store into a cafe, known as Whoopee Lunch. She operated this for many years.
They had four children, all received their education at Erickson.
Ono was born in June, 1914. He joined the U.S. Army Air Force and served overseas. Upon returning and getting his discharge, he met and married Freda Wensel of Beausejour, Manitoba. They moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he was employed with Sears Roebuck. Ono passed away in 1957, and is buried at Fort Snelling Military cemetery in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Moran was born in September, 1915. He joined the Canadian Army and served overseas. Before going east for basic training, he married Effie McKinnon of Erickson. When he returned from overseas, he received his discharge and moved to Seattle, Washington, where he was employed, retiring in 1980.
Hugo was born in January, 1917. He moved to the United States and was employed in Sunburst, Montana where he married Eleanor Fitzpatrick. They moved to the West Coast where he joined the U.S. Merchant Marine Coast Guard and stationed at Tatoosh Island. After being discharged, Hugo and Eleanor settled in Seattle, Washington where Hugo was employed as an Ad ministrator for the Swedish Hospital until he returned in 1980. They had one son Jerrold.
Ina was born in September, 1918. Leaving Erickson, she worked as a Secretary for many years at the Winnipeg Grain Exchange. Ina married Dave Elgert of McDonald, Manitoba. They have one daughter, Karen.
Just before World War II, Eureka met and married Jim Atkinson, originally from Killarney. Jim joined the Canadian Army and the family moved to St. James, Manitoba in 1942.
Eureka died at home in Winnipeg in 1974 and is buried in the St. Clements Cemetery at Selkirk, Manitoba.
NEVA, NEIL LEONARD
Leonard Neva came to the Danvers district from his home in the Elma district of eastern Manitoba in 1927 to teach at the Tales School. The school had a high enrollment at this time and discipline for young lady teachers just out of Normal School had become a problem. The board of trustees thought that hiring a man might help the situation so they hired one with only one year of experience in teaching! Their choice proved to be a wise one, however, as his pupils remember him as an excellent teacher, a firm but fair disciplinarian and a keen sportsman. He remained for fourteen years, so many pupils never had another teacher. He boarded in the Fred Wetteland home for several years until his marriage in 1938 to Helen Jacobson. They had one daughter. They later separated. During these years he was one of the star players on both the Erickson Ball team and the Hockey team.
On leaving Erickson in 1941, Leonard went to Win nipeg where he spent two of those war years employed with Defence Industries Ltd. He then moved to Thunder