This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 606 or Next - Page 608

tends Erickson Elementary school and also receives accordian lessons. Kathy is a member of the Erickson 4- H club. Geordan was born May 17,1982.


Philip, was always known as Happy Rogers. A very happy man. He came from the United States, applied for a homestead on N.W. 31-17-18W, on January 25, 1912; and he received his patent on May 10, 1922. He lived around the Scandinavia and Erickson district for many years. Eventually he returned to the United States.


by Inez Johnson

In 1898, my Dad decided to leave for America. He stayed in St. Paul, Minnesota, and worked for almost two years as a finishing carpenter with his buddy Olaf Hoyer who had left Norway a few years previously. Then my Dad decided to visit the Hartvick Hanson's (his mother-in-law) whom now had got established in the Danvers area. In 1900, he sent for my Mother and my two brothers Andreas and Fridthjof who later changed their names to Andrew and Fred. They were five and three years old respectively. My Mother came to Canada on the same ship as Hans Pedersen, an old friend of the family. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as my Mother was not a good sailor and was seasick all the way and Andrew came down with the measles while on board. Hans brought all the meals into the cabin so none of the authorities found out that Andrew had a communicable disease or they would have been put off at one of the ports.

My Dad moved into a log house on the N.E. 18-18- 18W with his family, having purchased it from John Holmstrom. He had a wagon, two horses, a cow and a collie dog. Here Gunda was born. My Mother used to love telling us children about the time in late September of that year when one night about midnight the dog barked ferociously and Dad went out in his "Long Johns" to investigate and as it was a bright moonlit night, he saw what he thought was a cat. He went to pet it but much to both my Dad and the dog's surprise, they had been rudely introduced to a skunk, which they had never seen before. My Dad eventually buried his long johns but the poor dog had to live with the perfume for many months to come.

In 1903, the Government opened more land for homesteads up in that territory west of Onanole. As I recall my folks always referred to their home as "On 10". That was where my Dad built two log barns, a shop and a log house. The closest neighbor was John Anderson, "Clear Lake John" as he was known to most of the old timers. The rest of the people were Indians. This was my birthplace on November 5, 1906. The Mid-wife was an Indian lady and she was given the privilege to name me so she named me Inez after an Indian Princess of that particular tribe.

The hardships were many but the pioneer spirit prevailed and as children we were happy in our surroundings. The closest town was Minnedosa. My Dad would take five days to make the trip about once a month to buy supplies. I was told by Mom we always looked forward to his return as he always had a 25 cent bag of peppermints for us children. Mom had bought a pair of sugar tongs from Norway and to make the candy last longer she cut them into four pieces with the tongs.

In 1909, the Government decided to close that area where we and the Andersons lived and let the Indians have it as their Reserve. That spring my Dad filed for homestead rights on 13-18-19W which eventually became land in the Harrison Municipality. Dad, with the help of the two boys, dismantled our log dwelling, log for log, which were numbered and hauled them to later be erected on the farm at Danvers where the farm stayed in the family for fifty-seven years. When all the timber was hauled down, the shop was erected first so we lived in it for the summer. Then the horse barn, a cow barn and the house were built. I recall going up the ladder and being helped in through the window to get to bed at night. I was delighted with that adventure but late that fall my Dad had the stairs built inside the house.

Dad helped build Tales School where we all went. He also helped build Bethel Lutheran Church which was only a mile from our place. My Dad died November 23, 1940, at the age of 71 and my Mother died November 3, 1941, at 70 years of age. These two pioneers are resting in peace in Danvers Lutheran Church Cemetery. Blessed be their memory.

My brother Andrew married Sigrid Gundersen June 6, 1935, who came to Canada with her Dad from Naustdal, Norway, in 1933. She was the sister of Rev. Gunnar Lee,

Albert Rognan Family. Back Row: Andrew and Fred. Seated: Albert, Alvhild, Inez, Gladys, Abina. Front: Gunda.

Nothing will give you more free time than being punc­ tual.