This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 608 or Next - Page 610

In 1958, their son Johnnie got married to Lillian Joyce Kopeechuk the daughter of Irvin and Nattie Kopeechuk. On September 27, 1959, a daughter was born to Johnnie and Lillian. They named her Shannon. She was William and Olga's first grandchild.

In 1960, William and Olga's first daughter Rose Marie married John Kosteskie of Brandon, Man. They had two children, a girl, Patty and a boy Michael. Patty was married and had a son, David. William and Olga's first great-grandchild. Rose and John and Michael still live in Brandon, Man. and Patty now lives in Winnipeg.

In 1960 Johnnie and Lillian and their daughter moved to Toronto, Ontario. There they had another daughter, Faith. In 1964, Johnnie and Lillian and their family moved to St. Catharines, Ontario, where they still live. Both Shannon and Faith are now married.

In 1970, their youngest daughter Dorothy Jean married John Geletchuk of Erickson, Man. They moved to Thompson, Man. for one year, then they moved back to Erickson, where they still live. They have three children, a boy Steven John, and another boy Darren William, and a girl Laureen Nicole. (refer to John Geletchuk)

In 1979, William and Olga sold their business to Glen Shellborn, and are now retired in Erickson, Man.

Bill and Olga celebrated their 50th Anniversary Oct. 23, 1982.


by Christine Johnson

Archie Rushton of Ozerna married Christine Oleniuk of Erickson in 1920.

They had four children, Jennifer, Victor, Phyllis and Mildred.

Jennifer married Lou Aquin. They had three children, Monique, Adele and Kenneth. Lou passed away in Winnipeg, April 23, 1975, Jennifer resides in Winnipeg.

Victor Rushton was born January 26, 1923, at Ozerna.

He received his education in Detroit, Michigan and Erickson, Manitoba. He belonged to the Ukrainian Catholic church.

Victor joined the R.C.A.F. at the age of 18. Children are; Pamela, Robert, Renie, Donald, Micheal and Susan.

Victor and wife June are presently living in Comox, B.C.

Phyllis married Allan Anderson of Erickson, they had three children; Donna Lea, Diane and Eric. Allan passed away in 1964, and Phyllis and family all reside at Calgary, Alberta.

Mildred married Jim Crockett, they had three children; Ricki, Terri and Brian. Mildred and children reside at Calgary, Alberta.

Archie Rushton passed away in the United States and later Christine married Roy Johnson (refer to Roy Johnson).


Earl J. Rut/edge was born August 22, 1894 in Rutledge County in Pontiac Quebec, the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Sullivan) Rutledge. Their ancestors had emigrated from Northern Ireland to Canada before the War of 1812-14. As a young man, Dr. Rutledge worked part-time as a farmer, cheesemaker and a semi­ professional baseball player. He attended Queen's University from 1913 to 1915 when his medical studies were interrupted by the First World War. He enlisted with the Canadian Army Medical Corps and served in England and North Africa, at Virny and at Gallipoli in the Dardanelles, attached to the Royal Army Medical Corps. While in Cairo, he attended lectures in tropical medicine at the University of Egypt. He returned to Queen's and there he completed his medical degree in 1919. Following graduation he served for two years as captain in the Department of Soldiers' Civil Re­ establishment.

In 1922, with his wife Gladys, daughter of Knox and Ida Williams of Battersea, Ontario, and their young son, Robert (Bob) he moved to Erickson to become the first Municipal doctor in Manitoba, serving the Municipalities of Clanwilliam and Harrison. They brought Aaron Heaton, an elderly family servant here to live with them and gave him a home until his death. Much of material contained herein has been researched from the doctor's own memoirs.

By choosing to serve a rural area he worked under primitive conditions most of the time. Poor roads and no modern medical facilities tested his resourcefulness. In those days the doctor went to the patient, not the patient to the doctor. His office hours were any time of the day or night. It was difficult for the doctors succeeding him to accustom the community to a regular afternoon office schedule. Even then there were those who thought he shouldn't even take a Sunday afternoon off to take his family to the lake. It was common for him to start out on a call in a car, transfer to a horse-drawn sleigh and then travel the last stretch on foot. He once had the experience of attending five women in labour in twenty-four hours, the last two being forty miles apart. He said that when you got really tired your car seemed to be going uphill on a road you knew to be level. "A pair of pillows and a blanket in the rear seat of your car with rain pelting down on the roof was a real place to sleep while waiting to be called for the terminal end of your baby case." One time delivering triplet girls and another, a fourteen ounce baby, were events to remember. Serving during the depression years, seeing the dire need in so many homes, was difficult for a man with his compassion. He helped get children placed in the Shriner's Hospital for or­ thopaedic care. He preferred rural to city life and had no prejudices in the walks of the people he served. He wrote "To take water out of a carburetor five times in 40 degrees below zero on Clear Lake on Christmas Day was no fun." Some years he depended on horses from Oc­ tober to April. At one time he was offered a majors' commission to work for the British Medical Service because of his experience in Egypt and the