This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 666 or Next - Page 668


by Bertha Sysiak

On October 26, 1946 Carl John Syslak married Bertha Hutton, born May 11, 1926.

The Carl Syslak Family. Standing, Left to Right: Keith, Betty, Larry and David. Seated: Bertha and Carl.

Four children were born to Carl and Bertha. Larry Carl born November 25, 1947, David Wayne born June 30, 1952, William Bernard Keith born January 9, 1955, Elizabeth Evelyn born September 24, 1957.

On June 1, 1968, Larry was married to Dorothy Swift born November 12, 1949. Two daughters were born to Larry and Dorothy, Tammy Lynn born November 5, 1969 and Theresa Dawn born July 10, 1973.

On December 9, 1972, David married Arla Scotland of Minnedosa, born June 21, 1956. From this union two sons were born. Micheal David born June 29, 1973, and Patrick Scott born July 29, 1977.

On May 10, 1978, Keith married Brenda Suski born November 2, 1958. Children were born to Keith and Brenda were Thomas Keith May 8, 1977, and Pamela Joyce born April 11, 1979.

On April 24, 1978, Betty married Tom Baraniuk of Norland born March 14, 1955. Two sons were born to Betty and Tom, Stephen Graig born December 27, 1978 and Kurt William born April 21, 1981.


by Flora Ehlin

Joseph Tales married Euphemia Cameron in Toronto in 1877. They farmed in the Clanwilliam District on what was known as the Stanley Matheson farm. They later moved to the Danvers District in 1884 where he had a ranch style farm on 20-18-18W. He farmed there until his retirement in 1913 when he moved to Clanwilliam.

Around the year 1875 or thereabouts Dundan and Flora Cameron left their home in Grey County, Ontario and headed west in covered wagon driving oxen to carve out a new home settling in the Rolling River area. Here he died and being alone she went to Dauphin to live with her youngest daughter, Flora Catherine Lee.

Their eldest daughter, Euphemia, born December 1st, 1948, at Owensound, Grey County, Ontario, went to work as a private maid for a Mrs. Basset in Toronto. Here she met William Joseph Tales (born September 15, 1851 on Isle of Wight, England), who had just arrived in Canada.

On March 3, 1887, Euphemia and Joseph were married. The following year they loaded their possessions into their wagon, tied the cow behind, hitched up the

hor5~5 and h~aded we5t to join her parents and other relatives. The cow provided milk for them and their infant daughter Sarah Jane on the tedious journey ahead. Some weeks later they arrived at the home of their cousin Alex Cameron north of Minnedosa in the area which became known as the Cameron district because they were the first white family to locate there.

Tales then took a homestead S.E. 27-16-18W just north of Clanwilliam. Here their second daughter Flora Ann was born.

When they first came to the homestead they had to go to Portage la Prairie to have their grain crushed for flour etc., which meant being away from home for several days at a time once or twice a year. While Grampa was away on one of these trips Grandma had her first encounter with Indians. All she had ever heard of Indians was their part in massacres, scalping and such. It is not difficult to imagine her fear when she looked out the window and saw two young Indian Braves coming toward the house. Fearing for the safety of her baby, she put her upstairs, placing her butcher knife within easy reach, she went to the door. To her relief all they wanted was some milk and bread, as the wife of one of them was sick. She gladly gave them the milk and bread they requested and they thanked her and left. For some years Jim Runner, one of the Braves, brought her berries thanking her for her kindness that day.

There were also times when they needed some supplies, then Grandpa would walk to Minnedosa for needed things, returning home the following day, sometimes even carrying a bag of flour as well as a few other things. In 1887, they sold the homestead and moved to the Danvers district. When plans were being made to build a school in the district, they gave a piece of land on which was erected, The Tales School.

In 1908, Grandma Tales learned that her mother Flora Cameron was ill so she drove with horses to Dauphin and brought her mother home with her. On April 16, 1909, she died and I understand she was the second to be buried in the Bethel cemetery.

In 1912 Grandpa Tales met with a harvest accident after which they sold the farm and moved to Clanwilliam where he died March 29, 1914. Grandma Tales stayed on in Clan william with exception of one summer which she spent with a granddaughter, Nellie Johnson, in Erickson returning to Clanwilliam where she died February 16, 1923.