This page is a text version of the Forest to Field History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Forest to Field Volume One

Previous - Page 687 or Next - Page 689

when living accommodation finally became available there.

The next few years were very busy ones. The family moved four times in fourteen months, with the fourth move being into their own house in the southeast section of Dauphin. Both children were active in school func­ tions, with Dawn very involved in sports. Both Dawn and Emma had been in 4-H at Erickson and transferred these activities to the Durston Handy Thimblers 4-H Club, south of Dauphin. Dawn continued her confirmation instruction with the Bethel Lutheran Church and was confirmed there. As the Lutheran church in Dauphin was very German, the family searched for another church affiliation. This led to an active involvement in the revival and re-organization of the dormant Presbyterian Church. This association continued until the Trinity Lutheran church changed over to an all-English service when the family transferred to that body. This change merely moved Emma's activities from one church body to the other where she served six years on the church council--as education director, secretary, treasurer, and worship services co-ordinator the last year when the pastor was leaving in April and a replacement would not be available until fall. Church activities decreased after that due to the pressures of family and work.

As Dave's periods of poor health kept recurring, he quit working for Beaver Lumber in 1963. During the next several years he worked at numerous jobs until he was employed on a full-time basis by TYM Construction, driving a cement-mixer truck. This continued until ill

health forced an end to his working days in November, 1974, when it was learned that he had terminal lung cancer. He passed away in September, 1975, and is buried in Riverside Cemetery, Dauphin.

Because of Dave's poor health, it had become necessary for Emma to re-enter the world of work. In 1963, this began with part-time work at the Dauphin General Hospital, and summer employment as alterations seamstress for Model Ladies' Wear. During November, 1963, the Dauphin-Ochre School Area hired her as part-time help at the Collegiate. This was as a library supervisor while the regular librarian taught remedial classes in French and Maths. This introduction to the collegiate staff and functionings led to a career in teaching Business Education. The next school year (64- 65) was spent attending the Manitoba Institute of Technology (now Red River College) to obtain her teacher training and certification. That year was hectic! Emma's school year was extremely heavy. Dawn kept the home fires burning with Mother's help every weekend. This meant Emma left Dauphin by bus at I :30 a.m. each Monday to be in class at M.I.T. by 8:30 a.m. and left Winnipeg at 11 p.m. each Friday to arrive back in Dauphin at 4:30 a.m. Saturday. Then home for two hours sleep before beginning a busy weekend of washing clothes, ironing, mending, baking bread, homework, and helping Dawn organize her work for the coming week. Dawn was now in Grade Eleven and the pressures on her were tremendous as she was very active in school sports. Toward spring her health began to give out and it was discovered she had rheumatoid arthritis. During her grade eleven and twelve years, she spent a total of four


months in hospital. Because of this, she was unable to complete her Grade twelve. This was of no concern to Dawn as her sojourns in hospital had helped decide her career choice as a licenced practical nurse. For this she needed no more than a Grade Ten standing. The carrot at the end of the hectic year was that Emma had already been promised a position on the DCTI staff. Her years of teaching ended with retirement in June, 1979, due to poor health. During those teaching years there were interesting highlights. One of these was being a major participant in the planning of the structural layout of the business education section of the new comprehensive school. Another undertaking was as the main developer of the Grade Nine Introductory Business program, pioneering it in the Dauphin-Ochre Area and then developing it for the entire province. The last seven years of teaching were carried out at the Mackenzie Junior High where the new program was taught to the entire Grade Nine student body in the Area, as well as a modified program to two classes of the emotional and mentally handicapped.

Dawn's training as an L.P.N. was spent at MIT, in Winnipeg, for introductory theory instruction and at the Dauphin General Hospital for practical training and instruction. After completing her training, she worked at the Thompson General Hospital and at the Misericordia Hospital in Winnipeg. Then it was back to the Dauphin General Hospital where she worked for some time in the Intensive Care Unit. Due to problems with working conditions, she quit nursing in 1972 and began pursuing her other interests-active working with training and

showing hor5C51 and working as a farm labourer for W.E. Durston.

As Dawn and Warren were very keen on owning horses, an acreage had been purchased south of Dauphin, in the Mountview district, in 1968. Another move for the family was made in 1972, when the house on "The Acres" was ready for occupancy. Now there could be more enjoyment of the horses and ponies acquired during recent years.

On leaving school, Warren worked at various jobs, mostly as a taxi driver in Dauphin, with a short stint at Churchill. His interest in horses was recreational, so never became very involved in the training and showing that appealed to Dawn and Mother. His interests are more mechanically inclined and he now works as a farm labourer.

As teaching was coming to an end in 1979, a change was necessary. Full-time farming and continued work with horses necessitated the acquiring of more land and some hills to be used as adequate training ground for hunters, jumpers and event horses. Thus the acreage was sold and the land belonging to Johnny Vaughan (for­ merly owned by Andy Thierry) was purchased, and again the family moved to their present residence on S.E. 4-19- 19W. Farming includes working with horses, beef and dairy cattle, sheep and goats. The continued showing of horses and goats is very much a part of the farm's ac­ tivities.

The involvement with horses has also led to active participation as executive members and instructors with the Parkland Pony Club (Dauphin) and the Onanole and District Pony Club after moving to this area in 1979.