Quest in Roots:
This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
THE LAKE OF THE WOODS ELEVATOR
The Lake of the Woods Elevator, built in 1902, was the first grain elevator to be built in Brookdale.
It was located about where the municipal shed is now.
The men building the elevator were fed in a tent by Mrs. Angus Clegg and daughter Mary (later Mrs.
As far as can be found out, Mr. J.M. McKenzie was the first operator. He left in 1911, and was followed by George Switzer, then Armour Taylor.
The elevator at this time handled flour, shorts and bran. Mr. Taylor''s son Russell, tells of an embarassing moment when he fell, while trying to take a bag of flour to a buggy for a local young lady.
When the Pool Elevator opened in 1929, Mr.
Armour Taylor moved to become the first Pool agent.
Reginald Brown was the next agent at the Lake of the Woods Elevator, but business started to decline once the Pool Elevator began operation.
Mr. Mac McLean was the next agent, and when he left Reg Brown returned for just the harvest months for a year or two until the elevator was closed.
This elevator was torn down about 1945.
THE UNITED GRAIN GROWERS Er:EV~T IN BROOKDALE (from United Grain Growers Information) The c.P. Varcoe Subdivision railway line was opened to Brookdale June 7,1902. The first elevator built in Brookdale was Lake of the Woods in 1902.
The Carberry Elevator Company built an elevator in 1902. This was purchased by the Manitoba Elevator Commission for $5369 in November 1910. This elevator was west of the Lake of the Woods elevator.
In 1912, the Grain Growers Grain Company leased all 174 of the government elevators in the province, including the Manitoba Elevator in Brookdale. In 1917 the Grain Growers Grain Company became the United Grain Growers.
In 1924 the United Grain Growers bought this elevator. There was a small fire in the office and it cost $599 for repairs. The elevator was rebuilt in 1939 and annexes were added in 1940 and 1953.
Some residents of the early 1920''s say this elevator was known as the "Security Elevator".
In early years the Brookdale members were attached to the Carberry-Fairview local. A separate local was formed in July 1946, with Chairman Samuel Abbott, Sec. RM. Mikkelson.
Ralph Graham, Roy Fraser, and Melvin Doncaster were board members. Mr. RR Fraser was the first delegate. Some of the elevator agents in this elevator at Brookdale were: J.F. Jones (1912-13), Thos. H. Ballantyne (1913-18; 1919-22), G.H. Whaley (1922-23), I. Bosnell (1923-24), record missing (1924-28), W.H. Fallis (1928-29), Ralph Chisholm (1929-53), Dune McIntyre (1953-67), Darryl Lamont (1965-76), and B.H. McMullan (1976-78).
With rail line abandonment and highway changes in the area, as well as the need for more up-to-date facilities, the decision to build a larger modern plant, centralized at Petrel on the main line of the Canadian National Railway, was made.
The new plant opened for business April 25, 1975 with Hugh Rankmore from Fairview as operator until 1976 when Frank Toews took over until 1978. Then Ellory L. Hammond took over and is still there in 1986.
The Brookdale U.G.G. elevator was closed in August 1978 and the Brookdale local board joined the Petrel local.
The sad ending of the U.G.G. elevator story at Brookdale is the result of the abandonment of the C.P.R line through Brookdale in August 1978 after 75 years of service to the community.
The U.G.G. elevator was sold to A.J. Evans who has installed a grain cleaning plant and uses the elevator for storage.
This history book has been digitized by KeyRockGroup.ca
For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.