Quest in Roots:
This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
With the coming of the railway in 1902, two elevators were built at Oberon, the first by G.B.
Murphy and the second by the Oglivie Grain Co.
The Murphy Elevator was demolished around 1918 and was taken to the Claresholm area in Alberta where it was reconstructed. Its operators were Ed Gamble who left in August 1909, Thos. and Andy Robertson, James Olstead who assisted Mr.
Gamble, and Sam Baker who resigned December 1916.
Through the years many improvements had been made on the Oglivie Elevator. In 1955 it was torn down and was replaced by a new and larger one, being built on the same site with some of the material from the old one. An annex was constructed on the south side of the elevator in 1940, making a capacity of 65,000 bushels for both buildings. In 1958 the Manitoba Pool Elevators took over the elevator. In March 1966 a fire caused extensive damage in the upper section of it. With no train service, the elevator closed the end of July 1974. A new Pool elevator had been erected at Harte and was officially opened in June 1974.
The Oglivie agents were Geo. Switzer, Albert Wiggins, James Olstead (1915·1928), Walter Greenway, Jack Kenney, and Forrest Alexander who was the last operator. Forrest was the grain buyer for Oglivie for 31 years and for the Manitoba Pool for 16 years, having served three generations of a number of district farmers namely Byrams, Mays, Bees, Martins, Thorns, and Olivers.
In 1975 Joe Jakubowski Sr. bought the elevator after its closing. It is used for grain storage by Joe and his four farmer sons.
The Oberon district farmers formed the Oberon Scale Co. in the early 1900''s and installed a set of weigh scales on the south side of the stockyards.
The farmers used these scales for weighing cattle, coal, and grain which they loaded into box cars themselves. It was rather difficult to drive into the elevator with sleighs and horses for weighing those things in winter. Frank Radcliffe was the weighmaster for several years. The scales weighed as high as four tons and were bought by Del Watts around 1958.
The annex has been demolished and the elevator is an outstanding landmark of our onceactive and thriving village along Hwy. No. 353.
This history book has been digitized by KeyRockGroup.ca
For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.