Quest in Roots:
Brookdale Manitoba History

This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
copy of the book online. The CD copy includes all pictures, maps and other information. The CD will be mailed to you anywhere in the world for a cost of $14.99.
This page includes only the text of the selected article.

OBERON BAR 0 CALF CLUB

The Oberon Bar 0Calf Club was organized on October 3, 1947 under the leadership of Clare Oliver.

The assistant leaders were W.S. Byram and Gordon Martin who moved to Flin Flon in October 1948 and was replaced by Lorne Mikkelsen.

Grenville Bates of Neepawa at that time was their district Agricultural Representative and was a great promoter of the boys and girls 4-H .c1ubs. The fi~st executive of the club was: president - Keith Byram, secretary treasurer - Kay Oliver, news reporter - Ellen Martin, game committee - Shirley Boles and Terry Oliver. Membership fee was 25q: per member.

The first annual club show was held on May 3, 1948 with W. Fraser and G. Bates judging the entries. The best calf was the entry of Mona Martin, second place was Harold Owen and third place was Stan Oliver. Showmanship: first - Keith Byram, second - Harold Owen. Judging: first - Keith Byram, second - Kay Oliver.

The club was quite active in spite of the low enrolments: 1947-48 (10 members), 1948-49 (12 members), 1949-50 (11 members), 1950-51 (8 members), and 1951-52 (9 members). In the fall of 1952, some of the older members left to study and to seek new careers, leaving a shortage of members.

However, the club did quite well in their activities.

In April 1949, Dan Mack won first place in the essay contest on the subject "The New Look in Farming" which was sponsored by Neepawa Consumers Co-op Ltd. In 1950, Kay Oliver won the Fenwicks Trophy for public speaking among the 4-H clubs in the Neepawa area.

The club attended the 4-H Rally Days which were held at Neepawa and Minnedosa on alternate years. In June 1951, the largest 4-H rally in the province was held in Neepawa with 900 club members from 50 clubs participating. They formed the huge 4-H symbol with members on the agricultural grounds. What a wonderful sight that was! One of the club''s special projects was the making of gate post signs for the district farmers.

They enjoyed participating in the 4-H bonspiels sponsored by the different clubs in the area.

Some of the members and their leaders were fortunate enough to participate in the 4-H Club trips to Winnipeg (1948), to Minnesota State Fair at St.

Paul (1949), and to the Calgary Stampede (1950).

In May 1949, the club show standing was first - Terry Oliver, second - Stanley Owen, third - Harold Owen. In 1950, Stan Oliver was first with Mona Martin second and Harold Owen third. In 1951, Stan Oliver placed first again, Mary Owen was second and Mona Martin third.

Unfortunately the club was short lived and folded up after the spring of 1952 due to lack of interested members and parents. That spring their calves were shipped to Winnipeg due to the foot and mouth disease scare. After this club was abandoned, some of the members joined the Brookdale Calf Club.

 

Article Index

This history book has been digitized by KeyRockGroup.ca

For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.