Quest in Roots:
This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
ABERDOUR - HALLBORO SCHOOLS
The first school in the Hallboro district in 1892, was called Aberdour, and was situated on the S.E.
34·13·15, on the north side of the C.N.R. line which was built through that area to Neepawa in 1902.
According to the Department of Education records, the school district was formed on May 21, 1892. The first meeting of Aberdour S.D. No''. 710, was held in the Osprey Post Office, located on the same quarter section, on August 6, 1892. James E.
Walker, Robert Hall and Robert Connell were elected as trustees, and two weeks later on August 20, 1892, a public meeting of the ratepayers was held and $550 was voted to build and furnish a new school. Taxes were levied in 1892 for Aberdour S.D.
The first teacher was Miss Van Blaricom. The first pupils were: Walter Hall, Oscar Walker, Eddie Gallop, Roy Connell, Mel Kines, Jack Layng, Lottie Hall, Jean Hall, Flo. Gallop, Bertha Hamilton, Laura Kines and Ellen Layng.
In the spring of 1898, the teacher, Emma M.
Carr, had an enrollment of 33 pupils and all grades from 1-8. Unfortunately this school burned down during the holidays on July 15, 1913. By October of the same year, a new school was built on the southwest corner of S.W. 35-13-15, near the crossroads. The name was then changed to Hallboro, to conform with that of the railway station, which was actually named after John Hall, an early settler of 1877.
The school finally closed its doors in June 1963.
That fall the children attended schools in Brookdale and Neepawa. Henry Curle, the van driver, drove the Curles, Kandels, Peters and Blair Morrison to Brookdale, while Mrs. Gordon Reilly took her children and Carolyn Morrison to Neepawa.
At the time of closing the last enrollment included: grade 1, Kathy Curle, Blair Morrison, Barry Reilly; grade 2, Shirley Kandel; grade 3, Sarah Reilly; grade 4, George Curle; grade 6, Jean Kandel; grade 7, Connie Peters, Beatrice Kandel; grade 8, Linda Curle, Allan Reilly, Gail Morrison, Carolyn Morrison. They participated in the Rural Field Day in Neepawa on May 31, 1963.
The last teacher was Joyce E. McIntyre, earning a salary of $3100 per annum. The last secretarytreasurer was Mrs. Lillian Le Boutillier, who had held that position for many years. Members of the last board of trustees were: Gordon Reilly, Fred Sage and John Morrison (chairman).
In 1967, the school was bought from the Langford Municipality by the Hallboro Community Club for one dollar. Ten years later, in 1977, the school building was sold to Greg Nelson for the sum of $2350.
June 1931 School Report Teacher: Miss Grace Munson Grade 1, Jack Huband; grade 2, Mary Layng, Grace Huband; grade 3, Stan Mills, John Sainsbury, Roy Davie; grade 4, Marjorie Howis; grade 6, Ruth Huband; grades 7, 8, Mabel Shackleford, Lillian Sainsbury, Jean Layng.
Church services and Sunday School classes were held in the school during its years of existence.
The school did not operate from June 1933 to the fall of 1939, but the district still held its Christmas concerts during that time. The pupils attended Dumfries and Oberon schools. Bill Le Boutillier drove a van to Dumfries.
This school history would not be complete without mentioning the co-operation of some of the district residents. From the late 1920''s Mary Chaplin played for the Christmas school concerts, while Charles Sage and Jack Arnold acted as emcees and entertained with their music on the fiddle, guitar and mouth organ.
This history book has been digitized by KeyRockGroup.ca
For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.