Quest in Roots:
Brookdale Manitoba History

This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
copy of the book online. The CD copy includes all pictures, maps and other information. The CD will be mailed to you anywhere in the world for a cost of $14.99.
This page includes only the text of the selected article.


Charles Boles, son of the late Harry and Ursula Boles, was born and raised at Carberry, Manitoba.

He acquired a farm in the Oberon district in 1914.

On January 20th, 1915 he married Netta Henderson, daughter of the late William and Harriet Henderson of Wellwood, Manitoba. Netta was born near London, Ontario coming to Manitoba with her parents at the age of eight, living at Wellwood.

Charles and Netta lived and farmed in the Oberon district all their lives. There were four children of the union, named Irene, Raymond, Olive and Shirley.

The family attended the Oberon United Church. All four children received their early education in the district attending Auburn School S.D. 146, a rural school.

Irene attended Brookdale High School receiving her grade 11 in 1935, entered St. Boniface School of Nursing in the fall of 1937 to become a nurse, graduating in 1940. She remained living and nursing in the city. In July 1943, she married Mowatt Collie, known to the Oberon district and who at the time, was employed with Plant Operations at the then named Winnipeg General Hospital. He retired in the fall of 1975. Irene and Mowatt were active members of Home Street United Church in Winnipeg and Irene was also an active member of the Orioles Community Club. There were two children of the marriage, a son Brian who now owns and operates a real estate business in the St. James area. Brian, wife Gloria and their family live in the Charles wood area of Winnipeg. A daughter Joyce has been with the Winnipeg Fire Department as a statistician for several years. Joyce, husband Cal Smith and family live near Oak bank, Manitoba, where they are active members of the Oakbank United Church. Irene returned to nursing at the beginning of 1963 and in 1964 became Nursing Coordinator of Psychiatry at the St. Boniface General Hospital, retiring in May of 1976. Her husband died in mid 1979. She remains in their home in the St.

James area of Winnipeg.

Raymond, after receiving his early public school education, remained at home farming with his father. He was active in hockey, curling and baseball.

In 1960 he took over the family farm after the death of his father. His mother remained on the farm with him until her death. A new house was built in 1965.

In later years, he became an avid bowler with both Hl-pin and 5-pin leagues and also does some golfing.

He is also a life member of the Neepawa Elks Lodge.

He was considered to be a successful farmer. In 1980 he retired from farming, but he still lives on the farm and the land is farmed by a local young farmer.

Olive received her high school education at Rivers Collegiate in Rivers, Manitoba, living with her maternal grandparents. Later she became a telephone operator at Brookdale, Manitoba. In the fallof 1941 she married Larry Chisholm of Brookdale, who was a blockman with the Cockshutt Implement Company. They lived in different areas due to Larry being transferred. From that union there was a daughter, Marilyn who graduated as a nurse from St. Boniface Hospital in 1965. Marilyn, husband Jack Kucherawry and their family reside in Calgary, Alberta. Jack is employed with a tourist company and Marilyn is a nurse at Grace Hospital, Calgary.

They are active members of the Catholic church.

Olive and Larry have lived in Yorkton, Saskatchewan for several years. Larry is retired and Olive works for a local locksmith.

Shirley received her high school education at Neepawa Collegiate, Neepawa, Manitoba. She later took a secretarial course at Manitoba Technical Institute in Winnipeg. Afterwards, she worked as a secretary to the vice-president of the C.N.R. for three and a half years. In the fall of 1956 she joined the Department of External Affairs in Ottawa, also taking training at the United Nations in New York.

In early 1957 she was posted to the Canadian Embassy in Moscow. Other po stings included London, England where she was secretary to the High Commissioner, the Late Honourable George Drew; Portugal, British Guyana (now Guyana) and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). In British Guyana she was one of a group of seven to set up and organize the first Canadian Embassy in British Guyana, in Georgetown. She always returned to Ottawa for intervals between postings. She remains with the Department of External Affairs and lives in the Rockcliffe area of Ottawa. For recreation she is an avid golfer.

Charles Boles passed away in January of 1960, his widow in January of 1976. They are both interred in Riverside Cemetery in Neepawa, Manitoba.


Article Index

This history book has been digitized by

For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.