Quest in Roots:
Brookdale Manitoba History

This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
copy of the book online. The CD copy includes all pictures, maps and other information. The CD will be mailed to you anywhere in the world for a cost of $14.99.
This page includes only the text of the selected article.


In 1887 the early pioneers of this district held a meeting to decide on the formation of a school.

father, Thomas McQuarrie, let them have a piece of his homestead he had taken that year. The next problem was a name for the school. Mrs. Thomas Morgan thought Woodlea would be nice, because of the woods all around. Other names were mentioned, but Mrs. Morgan''s was chosen. The school built in 1888, opened in 1889 was number 560. They held school from the first of April until December. The weather was so cold and snow so deep, they thought it would be better this way. They had just one week holiday in July.

The first trustees of this school were Harry Boles, later of Summerville district; William Walker, Robert Newton, and John Fallis Mitchell. Church services were held in the school. The first minister was Rev. Court, who drove out from Carberry. The next was Rev. Crouch, whose wife and two boys used to come with him. Next was Rev. Wilkinson who came from Carberry. He was Mrs. Jim Gowan''s father - taught Pearl how to chord on the organ. It was a nice school, they had many good times there.

When there was going to be a dance in the school, the students would have to take their books home because they would put all the desks outside. They would bring in blocks of wood and stand them on end and lay wide planks on them for seats along the walls.

They had many concerts, cribbage matches, debates and box socials. As the years went by they got a big cupboard for them to put all their books in. In 1896, Mr. George Charlton, who was the teacher at that time, planted the lovely spruce trees in front of the school, which stand tall and handsome yet.

This teacher boarded at mother and dad''s. A baby was born in June, 1896 and her folks were wondering what name to give her, Mr. Charlton said call her Pearl and they did.

The school''s name was changed in 1910 to Ingelow after the railroad came through the district.

The name Ingelow was taken from the name Jean Ingelow, a popular poetess. The school teachers over the years were (following list is not in order of teaching): First teacher - Mr. McKenzie in 1889 Beatrice Stewart Myrtle Little Maggie Stewart Dorothy Thompson Miss Meyma Helen Hufflick 1952 George Charlton 1886 Freda Martinson Miss Milne 1902 Gladys Fraser Thomas Taylor Muriel Hemming Harry Doubleday Elsie McCandlis May Bond Lillian Moffatt Flora McDonald Jean Rankin 1924 Nellie Carpenter Hazel Fisher Miss Ralston Edith Tutt Helen Winston Miss MacF arlene Miss Lynch Grace McDonald Miss Leech Ruth Slezak Miss Mcintosh Gertie Blenkhorne 1951 Edith Dunsmore Phyllis Bray Elsie Shier 1917 Ora Watts Joyce Jardine Sally Sewell Grace Harrison Mary Bocek Miss Mcintyre Vincent Madder To reminisce a bit - Box socials were the thing in those days. They had one gentleman in the district, who had a dislike for the young people. The men used to call him Cinderella and his temper would rise. So they made a box for Cinderella. Pearl made the box and Cliff Morgan made the contents of boiled potatoes and chop. She made so many boxes for the girls, Mother never asked any questions. They put the name Cinderella on it and told the auctioneer to be sure he got it. He did, and when he saw the name, he got so hot and angry that if there had been any explosives around, they would have gone off, no wonder he didn''t like the young folks. They never did find out how he got the name Cinderella.

Another episode at school - Long ago they got a funny paper with old Maud Mule in it and she was bad for kicking, so one day Pearl thought she would show the kids how she kicked. She put her two hands on the window sill but when her rear came up to kick, her head went through the window.

They used to have gardens at school and received prizes. Many times Maggie Lawrence and Pearl cleaned that old school. In 1983 the four oldest students still living living were Ariel (nee Morgan) Robinson of Carberry; George Watkinson of Stonewall, Man.; Evelyn Moffatt of Carberry Personal Care Home; Susan Clark (nee McQuarrie) of Winnipeg, and Myrtle Clark (nee Sullivan) of Brandon, Man. Ariel and Evelyn have died but George Watkinson is still in very good health at 94 years of age.

Susan Clark is 92 and Myrtle Clark is 90 years old.

This school was closed in 1960 after 70 years of service. It was sold later to the town of Wellwood, Man. for an Orange Lodge hall.


Article Index

This history book has been digitized by

For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.