Quest in Roots:
This page is an extract from the full Quest in Roots history book. You can purchase a CD
WOMEN''S MISSIONARY SOCIETY
The Women''s Missionary Society of the Methodist Church in Brookdale was organized April 17, 1914. The executive was: president - Mrs. (Rev.) Anderson, vice-pres. - Mrs. J.P.
Lawrie, corresponding sec. - Mrs. O.W. McDonald, recording sec. - Mrs. Miller, treasurer - Miss Edith Watson.
The society carried on through the years holding 12 regular meetings per year with a membership of 12·20. Systematic giving was begun in 1919 and the advantages were soon apparent.
The membership fee at that time was one dollar per year.
The minute book records that the society held its 25th anniversary in April of 1939. Visitors from MacGregor, Carberry, Wellwood and Oberon brought greetings from their respective churches.
Mrs. R. Dodds paid tribute to the first Missionary Society in the Brookdale district organized May 29, 1902 by the Presbyterian Church. Two ladies who had been members of that society were present - Mrs. R.P. Fraser of Ingelow and Mrs. Witherspoon of Carberry. Mrs. O.W. McDonald reviewed the work of the past 25 years and brought to mind many pleasant times together.
During the depression years there was little cash to contribute to missions. The farm wives all had flocks of hens and the Sunday eggs were pledged by the members for missions. Mrs. Fryer was president at the time.
Many names stand out in records of both societies - W.A. and W.M.S. - Stonehouse, Fryer, Curtis, Watson, Dodds, and McDonald to name only a few. Perhaps the name most frequently found on the executive was that of Mrs. J.P. Lawrie who lived almost all her life in the village. Mrs.
Lawrie raised a family of five but was president of the W.M.S. many times and in all the years was seldom without an office. She also served on the Ladies'' Aid executive at different times. Her home, next to the church was always open for meetings.
In December of 1961, the Women''s Association and the Women''s Missionary Society held final meetings, and in January 1962 the United Church Women came into being under the leadership of the following executive. President - Mrs. D.R. Mitchell, vice president - Mrs. R. Jardine, treasurer - Mrs.
H. Kinney, recording secretary - Mrs. McIntyre, corresponding secretary - Mrs. W. Pierson.
This history book has been digitized by KeyRockGroup.ca
For information on having your area history book available online
and available for puchase on CD, please contact us.