|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 126 or Next - Page 128
Mennonite Collegiate Institute in 1938. It was built in 1908.
Erdman Penners' votes on his promissory note had not been counted. Whether or not there was a promissory note, or whether it had been counted has never been substantiated, but the rumour did re-open the conflict. In early 1906 Enoch Winkler, a lumber merchant in Gretna, offered to donate ten acres to the school if it was built in Gretna. 32 This offer and the Gretna position was ridiculed by Altona businessman Johann Schwartz. In a satirical poem published in Der Nordwesten Schwartz concluded;
Drum haltet fest an Eurem Wort Und macht Euch keine Sorge Altona ist der Beste art
Die Kirche bleibt im Dorfe. 33
In a last ditch effort to keep the school in Gretna three petitions were presented to the MEl board asking that construction be delayed until another vote could be taken. The board, having made its decision, ignored the petitions. When the Gretna group obtained a court injunc tion to halt the construction, the board fought it in court and won the right to continue building.
These and other actions had, by the end of 1907, made conciliation impossible and Henry Reimer, Jacob Heppner, and H. H. Ewert re-