|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 203 or Next - Page 205
incorporated in 1896, Altona had benefitted through the relocation of the municipal office to Altona and had worked closely together with the municipality for many years. An indication of this close relationship was the fact that H. H. Hamm served not only the municipality as secretary-treasurer from 1913 to 1943, but also served as village secre tary from 1919 to 1936.
By the 1940's, however, town interests had begun to diverge from those of the municipality. Rapid population growth and new subdivi sions had convinced the town council that if the town was to provide this growing population with appropriate services it would need more rev enue. This could only be accomplished by incorporation. The problem came to a head in 1942 when residents outside of the unincorporated village districts requested to be included within the village boundaries. Because a village district was limited to 500 acres, this would have been impossible without a special act of the legislature or incorporation." The idea of incorporating continued to gain popularity and in 1945 it was approved by Altona residents 26 to 10.41 By May of 1945 the council had gathered the necessary 150 signatures and in November an Order in-Council incorporating the village of Altona received Cabinet ap proval and elections were held for the first council. Meeting for the first time on January 2, 1946, this council immediately attempted to have its share of municipal assets returned to them. Following an audit $9,597.97 was eventually paid to Altona on May 6, 1946. Dismayed at the small amount received, many Altona residents felt the adjustment had been unfair. 42
The advantages of incorporation were immediately felt as the council undertook public works projects that had been postponed for years. The council also began to embark on more systematic planning, enacting a By-law which made building permits mandatory in town." Town planning became even more imperative in the late 1940's and early 1950's as the town's expanding population increased the need for streets, drainage, water supply and more schools. In view of these needs the town hired an assessor and planner to draw up plans for further development. 44
The main reasons for Altona's growth after the war was the success of the evo plant and the expanding business of D. W. Friesen and Sons. The one tied Altona firmly to its agricultural hinterland and the co operative ethic and the other was a tribute to the business acumen and ambitions of the Friesen family.
By 1960 Altona was one of only four centers in south central Manitoba to show appreciable growth and a government study at tributed this to the fact that Altona was located in an area where