|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 226 or Next - Page 228
Gretna Public School. Built in 1957 this school replaced the old school built in 1910.
down the plan by a margin of 1,688 to 780. Much of the support for the plan had come from Altona where both the Altona Echo and the Altona Trustees had strongly argued in favour of unitary divisions. They were opposed by the rural trustees especially the president of the Rhineland School Trustees Association, A. 1. Thiessen." This vote clearly illus trated that for the time being Rhineland residents did not want educa tional change.
Modernization and Continuity
While there was still rooted opposition to modernism in schools, churches and some villages, the modem world was evident everywhere in Rhineland. Rural electrification after the war produced immense changes in farm life aiding greatly to complete the changeover to urban standards and urban ways. In 1945 a survey was made in Rhineland to see if electricity was needed on area farms and by 1949 the Manitoba Power Commission entered into street lighting contracts with Altona, Gretna, Rosenfeld, Horndean, Reinland, Halbstadt and Rosengart." By 1950 all farms including the Mennonite villages were receiving electricity." Electrification not only greatly aided farming but intro duced a number of modern conveniences since each farmer had to agree to buy at least one large and five small appliances." It was not long before most residents had radios and soon after the area had its own radio station.