|This page is a text version of the RM of Rhineland History Book. You can purchase a PDF copy of the book in our online store. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the purchased version. The purchased version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of the RM of Rhineland History Book
Previous - Page 91 or Next - Page 93
independent, defeated the Liberal candidate in the Rosenfeld Constitu ency. Even after the Conservative Party gained power in Manitoba, Rhineland continued to return Liberal members.
|Table 13 Provincial Elections 1888-1900|
|Year||Constituency||Members Elected||Voters Votes||Lib. Cons.||Ind.|
|* Independent Conservative|
Source: Statement of Votes: Thirty-first General Election October 11, 1977.
In the Federal sphere before 1900 the R.M. of Rhineland was part of a much larger riding, Lisgar, and did not affect the results signifi cantly.
Schools and the Formation of the Mennonite Educational Institute
Education like government and politics was perceived quite dif ferently by different groups within the R.M. of Rhineland. The involvement of the municipality in the formation of school districts after 1884 and the introduction of higher education served to exacerbate these differences.
According to the 1881 Public Schools Act of Manitoba, it was the duty of the municipal council to establish and alter the school districts within its boundaries. 64 To further assist in the formation of school districts in Rhineland, William Rempel , a former teacher and secretary treasurer of the newly created R.M. of Rhineland, was appointed Inspector of Mennonite schools in 1885. Within a year of his appoint ment there were ten district schools on the West Reserve. 65 Despite this increase, Rempel was basically pessimistic as most Mennonites still opposed district schools thinking these schools would lead their chil dren away from Mennonite teachings.
In some of the Old Colony villages, district schools aroused bitter opposition. Following the incorporation of the School District of Schanzenfeld in 1885, only four ratepayers appeared at the first school board meeting and one of the elected trustees refused to perform his duties. In addition to this passive resistance, thirteen ratepayers in the