This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 139 or Next - Page 141

to this district in the summer of 1881. Wm. Latimer homesteaded the west half of 28-3-20, Peter Henderson, the east half of 34-3-20, and J as. Rae the west half of 34-3-20.

Wm. Latimer was born on a farm near Packinham, Ont., south­ west of Ottawa. When he came to this district in 1881, he stopped the first night with Wm. Miller, whose homestead was three miles west of Old Desford School. After taking up his homestead on 28-3-20, he filed the next day at the Old Deloraine land office. He then went to the Darlingford district where he helped his brother-in-law get out building logs that winter. Returning in the spring, he set to hauling logs from the Turtle Mountains for buildings of his own on the homestead. The next whiter he went East to work in a lumber camp, getting out ties for the building of the new railway. Davis, the camp operator who hired the men, disappeared in the spring, knowing that the men had to return to their homestead. Thus, all the men hired in that camp worked hard all winter and never received any wages. Part of the following summer of 1883, Mr. Latimer spent driving spikes on the C.P.R.

One of the early women to come to this district was Mrs.

Margaret Latimer, who was accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Chas. Stewart, and also by their mother. Mrs. Latimer's brother, Jas. Henderson, accompanied them as far as Brandon, May 2nd, 1884. Here another brother, Duncan Henderson met them, and after spending the night at the Baubier Hotel in Brandon they all started south by team and wagon. The next night was spent about ten or twelve miles south of Brandon with people by the name of McCanlish. The next day they reach the Souris River, where the wagon stuck and they had to get help. A ferry took them across the river, and they reached home the next day. Even though it was early in May, there were patches of snow here and there along the way. The house on the S.W. quarter 19-2-20 was built by Mr. Morton, after whom the Municipality was named, who operated a store there. W. H. Latimer drew supplies for Morton's store from Emer­ son with a team of grey percherons. On the trip which took quite a number of days to make, he slept under the wagon. One of the ferries wasn't large enough for the team and wagon, so he would jump on one horse's back and swim the team across. Nichols also had a store on his homestead, about a mile southeast of Horton. A round barn is still there on the site of the buildings.

The first buildings erected by the pioneers were of logs or sods, although some early stone barns had hand-hewn oak beams. Regardless of construction, all the neighbors helped when a new building was being erected. Some of the settlers put up log build­ ings, high at the front and low at the back, by keeping the butt ends of the logs all one way, while the small ends of the logs formed the low side of the building. The roof was then covered with poles and sods. The walls of some others were straight sad, the layers of

-140-