This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 14 or Next - Page 16

westerly from Strathallan school site to the island near the north shore. This was probably used by early fur traders operating from forts near Lauder to the Turtle Mountain area.

Prior to 1934, following the drought of the late eighties, the lake was dry in 1913 and again in 1924. During the thirties, the annual precipitation was half the normal rainfall, which is approxi­ mately twenty inches for our prairie area. During this period the value of the Forestry Reserve was fully appreciated. As there was not any money to obtain coal, most .people returned to the pioneer way of winter heating and hundreds of loads of wood were cut yearly from the hills. The stand was not as heavy as originally, but the new growth of thirty odd years' standing made excellent fuel. From the meadows and sloughs, valuable hay was cut and large areas were fenced to pasture stock from dried out districts.

In 1895 the area had been surveyed and the timber resources were estimated at 150,000 cords per annum. It was created a timber reserve that same year and in 1906 it became a forest reserve. In recent years the presence of beavers has raised the water level of the entire forest area, thus lessening the danger of fire destruction such as the Turtle Mountains experienced in 1896. The reserve com­ prises 109% sections of lands, twenty miles long at the International Boundary, tapering to fourteen miles at the north and six sections deep.

One of .the early houses of All Saints District - the Sankey home. Photo courtesy H. Sankey, Kirkland Lake, Ontario.

-15-