This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 165 or Next - Page 167

Brondgeest's brother, and the post office was called Turtle Mountain.

It was hoped that this settlement would become a village, for a store, blacksmith shop, printing shop and a grist mill were erected there, but in 1887 saw the end of this dream as the railway from Boissevain to Deloraine had passed nearly two miles to the north and Mr. Brondgeest, who had been one of the prime promotors, died about Christmas time and was buried on one of the hills on the ravine bank. The family then moved about two miles north to 15-3-21.

The mail now came in by train and the post office was moved to Robt. Scott's farm about two miles S.W. 5-3-21, and about 1888 to Whitewater and the name changed from Turtle Mountain to Whitewater.

The spring of 1888 we went to the farm of Chas. Hurt (Bleak House), 8-3-21, three quarters of a mile southeast of the new railway site-Whitewater. Father rented Hurt's homestead, 8-3-21 (Wau­ keemo-Indian name for farm by the lake). The house had been moved by capstan the previous year to 8-3-21, its present site.

Mr. Hurt had Jim McKinley, Dave Ballard and Dan Vale breaking for him that summer. Some of them had oxen. Mother boarded these men and the carpenters who were building the first store and elevator at Whitewater for Mr. Geo. Morton. The lumber for the buildings was hauled from Morton's saw mill at Lake Max.

In 1888 what small acreage the homesteaders had in crop must have yielded well, for father had 1000 bushels of wheat. It was the first grain to go into the new elevator, with the price being $1.00 a bushel. The threshing was done by either Levi or Elias Jones with a new steam threshing machine run by Jake Smith.

1889 was a very dry year with a poor crop. I remember dad had to take the knotter off the binder and put on a box to catch the heads. When the box was full the headers were lifted out with a fork and placed in heaps on the ground. The price this year was 80c a bushel.

Our neighbors at this time were Robt. Scotts; Chas. Sankey, 4-3-21; L. Thompson, 10-3-21; John Nicholson, 10-3-21; Mrs. Brond­ geest, Lou Jones (Devilish Green) 17-3-21; Hazelwoods (Liberty Hollow) 18-3-21; with Hansons (The Glen) and Kellers to the west and Dougalls and Flemings to the south.

Mrs. Hazelwood died in January 1888 and was buried on the farm as there was no near cemetery at that time. The grave was dug by Jake Smith, a bachelor neighbor. Mr. Hazelwood was killed by a train at Naples crossing in March 1891.

At this time there was a brick yard near the lake on 17-3-21 and it was run by Mr. Hyman. The machinery was later removed to Deloraine.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Peters came in about 1888 to manage Mor­ ton's store and elevator, later taking over. At this time a boarding house and livery barn were built. In addition to being store keeper

-166-