This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 209 or Next - Page 211

Father ran the herd for a few more years but barbwire made its appearance and soon fencing did away with the necessity of herding. It also spelt the end of the pioneer trails that wound their way across the prairie without regard to road allowances or land ownership. A few years later the fences were flanked by telephone lines and the low places in the roads were being graded so that automobiles could get through them.

In 1914 father purchased a Model T Ford car. It was a far cry from the tin beauties of today but the sound of its chugging along the three-rutted roads made by the buggies and high-stepping driving horses that it was to replace was the music for the finale of pioneer days.

Submitted by H. G. Duncan

THE PIONEER DAYS OF WILLIAM PLUNKETT As told to his ,granddaughter, Leone PlunkeU

On March 30th, 1890, I saw Winnipeg, Manitoba, for the first time. I was eighteen years old and had come out with my mother and father.

I was cold and tired from the trip because I had ridden in the boxcar with the horses. I slept on the bales of hay which was the feed for the horses.

Winnipeg was pretty small at that time. There was nothing but bald prairie north of the C.P.R., except one little red building standing out by itself. The northwest and northeast of Winnipeg was all prairie, stretching for miles. A fellow told me I could buy land on the northeast for two dollars an acre. It is in the heart of the city today.

I left for Boissevain on the train which ran through Morris and LaRiviere. When I reached Boissevain, my parents met me and helped me unload our belongings. We piled them on the lot directly north of the present day Recorder office.

There wasn't very much to Boissevain in 1890. The old mill was there, on the sight of McCabe's Elevator, The north end was pretty well built up, but the south was not settled very much. South of the present day Modern Motors, the prairie stretched out. East of the United Church, and west of the old mill, the prairie spread out for miles.

The first thing father did was to buy the southeast quarter of 3-4-19. We piled our belongings into wagons and headed out to the new homestead. When we reached the homestead we piled every­ thing on the ground and covered it up. The horses were staked out .until the barn was built.

It was early April and father and I set up a shelter. This was' much like the peak of a house, about six feet high and ten feet long. The ends were boarded in, with a door at one end. We lived in this