This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 228 or Next - Page 230

the new dwelling was built. The crop this year was late maturing, and in the process of being cut and stacked late was an entire loss through the effects of snow and ice. This same fall Mr. Peacock, along with Mr. W. J. McKinney, and some other unfortunate neigh­ bors, headed for Brandon to earn some money doing late threshing. They found work all right, but had to rough it as no sleeping accom­ modation could be found, and each night they had to sleep in a strawstack. Like many others, he did his turn at cutting and hauling cordwood to Boissevain for $2 a cord. After using the Chambers buildings the one year, Mr. and Mrs. Peacock went to live in their new house. In 1902 they felt that they could use the original house in connection with their own, so moved it up most of a mile by capstan, operated by horse power. It took ten full days to move the house approximately one mile.

Mr. and Mrs. Peacock continued farming on 31 until they retired to Boissevain in 1928, the farm since then being operated by their son Elmer.

A considerable part of Mr. Peacock's life was spent to public service. Twenty-six years were spent on the school board, sixteen of which he was secretary-treasurer. He also spent fifteen years as councillor, then being elected reeve, which position he held for eighteen years.

Mr. Peacock passed on Dec. 20th, 1953. Mrs. Peacock still lives in Boissevain with her son Willson.

GABRIEL ORRISS

Gabriel Orriss was born in 1864. He and his brother David came from Suffolk, England, in 1888 to Boissevain. For the first year or so Gabriel worked for Jim Rae, Archie Currie and Peter Henderson until he and Dave began farming north of Fairburn School. They batched in a log shack and one morning it was cold Gabriel awakened to find icicles on his moustache. In 1897 they moved to west 6-3-19 where they lived in a frame house. In 1900 Gabriel married Miss Mary Richardson who came from Wingham, Ontario, as a child with her parents in 1874. Of this marriage there were three children.

On March 28th, 1903, there was one of the worst blizzards ever experienced. Gabriel had to go for the doctor and went to the barn for horses. When he got outside he couldn't find the barn and when the storm cleared a little discovered he was standing on the barn, the building being completely covered with snow. Banks were from twelve to twenty feet deep. He dug the horses out and drove with the stone boat to the Percy Lay farm where the doctor was.

Gabriel was a staunch member of the Presbyterian Church and later of the United Church. He was an elder in the church for over forty years and was one of the first elders in the United Church.

-229-