This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 235 or Next - Page 237

In 1904, Robert's two brothers, David and George joined him, settling on 24-3-21. David's three boys, John, William and Charles still farm near-by.

In 1914, Robert purchased his first automobile, it being a model "T" Ford.

In 1927 he purchased land on 23-3-20, close to town and built a house on this property, to make it more convenient for his family to attend high school. Following the loss of his barn by fire in 1940, he and his family moved back to the original homesite, where he died, after a short illness in 1946 at the age of 87 years.

One of Robert's vivid recollections of those early days was the death of so many young people due to T.B., known in those days as "consumption." Before the days of X-rays and sanitariums, it spread rapidly through homes and schools, causing much loss and sorrow to the pioneer families.

Over the period of more than 55 years that Robt. Baskerville resided in this area, he was a kindly neighbor, lending a helping hand to many. He was a staunch supporter of his church, being a member of the board of the Methodist Church, and later an elder of St. Pauls United for many years.

Mrs. Baskerville and son John still reside on the original home­ stead. One of the log buildings erected over sixty years is still stand­ ing and serves as a poultry house.


Robert Hurt and his brother Charles came to the district from Emerson by ox cart in 1880. When they arrived at Emerson, the Red River was in flood, and the ferry was stranded on the far side, the cable having broken.

Two hundred settlers were stranded with all their effects. The situation had become critical because food was becoming scarce. Due to the flood there were so many extra people to feed.

Bob Hurt had come straight from a sailing ship so he looked over the situation with interest, and decided to try crossing the river in a flat bottomed boat, taking a line attached to a new hawser to attach to the stranded ferry. Some of the other men also volunteered to go with him. They made the trip safely, and with the help of men and teams on the other side got the stranded ferry free and afloat again. Soon it was once more in service, and the settlers were able to continue on their way. Bob and Charley helped for a while and then started for the Turtle Mountain and further adventures.

The first threshing machine I saw on the farm of A. S. Barton was truly a horse power; it was operated thus: near the bottom of the threshing machine was a long iron rod three inches in diameter and at the other end of this rod was a capstan from which extended at regular intervals five poles, to each of these poles was attached a