This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 243 or Next - Page 245

In 1881 he again returned east to Almonte, Ontario, where he married Miss Annie J. Watson in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Millions returned to their home on 24-2-21 in the spring of the same year accompanied by Mr. Millions' parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Millions, four of his brothers, Jim, John, Robert and Matthew; three sisters, Esther, Bella and Mary (Mrs. Charlie Hudson) and Mr. Charlie Hudson. They travelled by democrat and oxen from Winnipeg, having purchased supplies there and homesteaded in what is now known as the Wassewa district.

The Millions' first house was a sod shanty followed by a log house in a T shape. Then in 1900 the stone house was built by Klea Bros. and Slomke as masons, with Mr. Millions doing the carpenter work.

In 1888 Mr. Millions made entry for a second homestead at Carnduff, Sask. However he lived there only during pre-emption duties.

In the first year of residence on the homestead at Wassewa, Mr.

Millions walked to Emerson for supplies and carried them home on his back. After the first year he went to Brandon, until Boissevain came into being.

About 1901 he purchased the west half 19-2-20 on which was situated the first Wassewa store, a frame house. The main part of this house is still used and is owned by Mr. John Lindsay of Winni­ peg. The store, operated by Mr. George Morton, had a pole from the house towards the road with a light on it. When applying for a name "Beacon" was requested. However the name "Wassewa" was used which means "good light" in Indian language.

The Old Commission Trail passed through both Mr. Millions' farm and right through the yard of the home farm. As all traffic in the early days had to use this road Mr. and Mrs. Millions had many visitors. The Indians, too, frequented the Millions home where a welcome was always assured all who came.

During his residence in the Wassewa district Mr. Millions was postmaster for twenty years, served on the School Board as trustee, and also served on the Church Board. The first Wassewa School was held in a building in the farmyard of 19-2-20. This building was torn down just a few years ago.

In 1906 Mr. and Mrs. Millions returned to Boissevain, leaving the farms to be operated by their sons, Cecil and Lynn. Other members of the family were Merle, Myrtle, Etta and Beatrice. Mr. Millions passed away in 1906.

MR. AND MRS. R. J. LUDGATE

Robert Ludgate came from Cobourg, Ont., in 1879 to Stonewall, moving to Brandon in 1882, then walking to Deloraine to file on 23-3-19.

-244-