This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 26 or Next - Page 28

The first weekly published was The Boissevain Globe, owned and edited by W. H. Ashley, but a manuscript had previously come out edited by J. J. Musgrove. Mr. Ashley had previously freighted from Winnipeg to Edmonton, being all summer on a trip.

Boissevain's first school children had to walk a mile west of the village to Nimitaw School (which was later moved and re-named Caranton). School was later held in the Masonic Hall, the first teacher being W. T. Musgrove. In 1889 a two room school was built, with W. T. Musgrove and Miss A. Holden in charge. Mr. Musgrove planted the maples that grow on the school grounds today. The stone school was built in 1894 and still carries the names of the trustees engraved in the bell, Dr. Schaffel's, J as. Rae and John Hettle.

Cabe Ryan built the first hotel. It was located on the corner of North Railway and Stephen St. It burned in '88 and a new Ryan House was built on Main St. The building is now owned by John Sushelnitsky.

J as. Rae had the McCormick agency across from the first Ryan House. R. G. Willis and Jas. Reekie had the Massey agency. Other implement agents were Bob Orr and John Hettie.

The first bank was privately owned by Mr. Cowan. This was followed in '89 by the Commercial Bank located where the Peace Gardens Cafe now stands. The Union Bank took over in '91.

The first church services were held in a box car which also served as a depot for a short time. The Presbyterian Church was the first to be built, the first minister being Alexander Cameron. He homesteaded the N.E. % of 26-3-20, and this land is still referred to by oldtimers as the Preacher Cameron quarter. Before the Church was built, Preacher Cameron held open air services on the banks of Cherry Creek. Often the service was drowned out by singing black­ birds in the willows.

The first Methodist church was the house now occupied by Charlie Oakden, and the parsonage is now lived in by Joe Carter­ Squire. The first resident Methodist minister was Oliver Darwin, who at the time of writing, was still living in Vancouver at the age of ninety-seven. Both early churches had small cemeteries which were moved to the present location during the summer of '86.

The early homes were well and truly built and many are still in splendid shape. Dr. Cornell built the house now occupied by Mrs. Jean Mains, and Dr. Wilbee now lives in the house built for Mr. Nichol.

The first Land Titles office was located just south of the Jack Cameron residence.

The first jail stood where the Rest Room is today. It was here that Ed. Allan and Joe Young lodged Walter Gordon in 1900 when

1903 - Main Street looking east - Photo courtesy W. V. Udall

- 27-