This page is a text version of the Beckoning Hills History Book. This is the story of the Turtle Mountain Area of Manitoba. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of Beckoning Hills History Book

Previous - Page 56 or Next - Page 58

a bull-Red Knight II, and from the mating of these, young bulls were sold to neighboring farmers. Entries from the Washington herd won championships at the Minnesota State Fair, Brandon and Toronto, and before the herd was dispersed, Joe's son Henry, who succeeded him, had shown the champion male and female at Brandon.

Another important herd. in the district was that of Jones Bros.

Their herd of Polled Herefords, which was instituted at the turn of the century, was the first herd of its kind in Western Canada. Entries from this herd won high honors at fairs all over the West.

In the eighteen-eighties, two large dairy companies were incorporated in the Turtle Mountains-the Quinte Farms and the Morton Dairy Farms. The Quinte Farm was located West of Moun­ tainside and consisted of five sections. Inaugurated as a dairy farm, it was found that lack of transportation facilities and poor prices made it impossible to carryon with any financial success. In the late eighties, it had become a grain producing farm, but by reason of crop failures, in the next decade the company was wound up. The Morton Dairy Farm Project was founded by Geo. Morton, who had been prominent in the cheese industry in Ontario. About 1880, he became interested in the West, acquired land, and made plans for the erection of a cheese factory, and imported a large herd of cattle. Climatic conditions and the lack of transportation contributed to the failure of the undertaking, which was abandoned. Both of these undertakings were failures, but they contributed to the development of the area by pointing out some of the pit-falls to be avoided in the operation of large farms.

During the earliest years of the settlement of the district money was scare and the community could not be regarded as being on a cash economy. There was little grain to market until 1883 and the return from it was meagre. The first bank in the district was opened in Boissevain in 1889 by Crawford Cowan, and furnished facilities for banking and borrowing; but the chief source of money was from loan companies in Winnipeg and in the East, and a large proportion of the settlers, after obtaining the patent for their land, immediately mortgaged it to obtain the necessary capital for the extension of their farming operations. Criticism has been directed at the companies for exacting exorbitant rates of interest and dis­ possessing the mortgagors when default occurred, but without the capital furnished by the loan companies to the farmers, the progress and development of the community would have been seriously retarded.

The sources of income on which the farmer depended were grain and livestock, and in disposing of these commodities he was confronted with various difficulties among which were the lack of communications and the difficulty of obtaining means of trans-

porting his products. .

-57-