|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 100 or Next - Page 102
blankets for sleeping outdoors, poor food rations, and beautiful horses lying wounded, are only a part of the terrible experiences of the boys who volunteered to fight in the Boer War.
Major I. R. Snider, of Portage la Prairie, saw action in the following battles: Natal; in the Transvaal east of Pretoria; at Belfast; at Lydenberr; in the Transvaal west of Pretoria; at Fredrickstad and in the Orange River Colony. In 1902 he was awarded the Queen's medal with five clasps.
(By 1914, when the first World War broke out, he had been elevated to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.)
Years immediately following the Boer War were ones of agricultural expansion and industrial development in Portage la Prairie. They were also years when shopping for stylish clothing again brought many customers to the R. S. McKenzie store in the Bailey Block on Saturday nights.
"The province of IVlanitoba has yet room for thousands of farmers and laborers," declared the Portage Daily News on August 27, 1903. "There are 25,000,000 acres that can be cultivated and only 3,000,000 acres are under cultivation. The livestock industry is increasing."
The total yield of Manitoba grain crops in 1902 was 100,052,- 343 bushels. Wheat led the produce with a yield of 53,007,267 bushels and was followed by oats 'with 34,478,160, barley with 11,- 848,422, flax wi th 564,440, rye with 49,900 and peas with 34,154 bushels.
Bennett Memorials was well established by this time. In 1919 the business was purchased by Guinn and Simpson Co. Ltd. and is stilI operating today.
Adam Brown Sr. journeyed to Southbend, Indiana, and brought back two Studebaker cars in 1902. D. S. Lyon, six years later, opened the first garage in Portage 1a Prairie. The picture on the next page was taken ten years later.
Shown in the picture from left to right are: David Lyon Jr. (in car), George R. Lyon (in car), Louis Scow, Archie Lyon, ?, S. R. Cuthbert, ?, ?, W. P. Rundle, W. H. Thompson, J. H. Metcalfe, and D. S. Lyon (in car).
(The cars shown in the picture are all Fords - 1910, 1911 and 1912 models.
D. S. Lyon ran this business until 1919 when his son) Archie, took over. Archie is still the owner of the building but since 1959