|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 103 or Next - Page 105
Snyder Brothers Brick Yard had its beginning in 1903, becoming a company in 1910. Top production was 84,000 bricks daily. (In 1945 this business was sold to Alsip Company who, at the time of this writing, are still the owners on the original location north-east of Portage Ia Prairie.)
Going back to where we left off in 1902, other businesses of that year should be added to the ones already mentioned.
There was P. J. Harwood's Jewelry Store; F. B. Bagshaw - Book seller and Stationer; L. Remey - Real Estate; Cassels' Star Bakery; George W. Sparling's Photo Studio; Halstead & Co. - Bankers; McLeod and Pybus were running the Leland Hotel; T. A. Newman had two stores by this time - the grocery a t the west end and a grocery and wholesale liquor dept. at the east end; T. T. Bailey had a restaurant described as "swell" in a 1902 magazine; the departmental stores of James, Edward and Adam Brown occupied front places among the business houses; Brown's Stock Exchange where they kept a string of trotting horses that did credit to them at exhibitions, also a carriage sales room and a large implement yard; J. O. Williams' tonsorial parlors and cigar store was a busy place; and a Me Lurl is mentioned in connection with photography.
D. McCowan was the esteemed secretary-treasurer of the Rural Municipality of Portage Ia Prairie. at that time.
The population in 1902 was 4,000.
The following three pictures were taken during a day of festivi ties. Note the crowd watching an approaching parade.
From left to right the buildings shown in this first picture are the businesses of Graban, Todhunter, Babb and Kirkland.