This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.

Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire

Previous - Page 121 or Next - Page 123

$300; provincial buildings, $4,000; Garland Block $1,500; Collegiate, $2,000; Curling Rink, $100; North Ward School, $2,500; West Ward School, $100; and Central School, $100.

Rev. Dr. Thurlow Fraser, a former minister at the Presbyterian Church, came from Winnipeg to inspect the damage to his old church. He was high in his praise of the brotherhood displayed by other congregations. Offers had immediately been tendered to the Presby­ terians to hold their services in the Anglican, Baptist and Catholic church buildings.

"This shows that though we may differ in creeds and tenets, we are all one in Christian sympathy and brotherliness when sorrow or distress overtakes us," said Dr. Fraser.

The fact that only one life was lost in the cyclone was attributed to the fact that it struck when most persons were home asleep.

Ald. Garland and his son had a narrow escape on the sleeping balcony of their home. Mr. Garland picked up his sleeping son and had just entered the house when the chimney crashed through the roof on to the bed where they had been lying!

And C. W. Taylor was about to go to a sleeping balcony to shut a window, but his wife persuaded him not to attempt it. As he turned away, the balcony was torn from the house!

In the Hotel Portage, a group of worried people had gathered.

A little girl was quoted as saying at that time, "Don't be frightened Mamma. God will look after us." Those words had a magical effect on all present, cheering them up and giving them the courage that was needed on that dreadful Wednesday of 1922.

After many months of cleaning, repairing and building Portage began to bear a semblance to the orderly, thriving city it had previously been.

Gay gatherings were resumed and autumn and winter passed pleasantly before nature sprung another surprise. This one came in the form of a flood.


A woman on 4th St. Northwest looked at her basement and saw it was flooded. The water was reaching the floor of her home.

She rushed to the front door and stepped into water she thought merely covered the sidewalk. But the water in the basement had undermind the foundation, leaving a hole in front of the doorl