|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 124 or Next - Page 126
The Daily Graphic reported that "there was no panic, people were calm and it was only by being so that no lives were lost .. ,n
The flood had moved east, but it took a number of weeks before there was any sort of travel between Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie. The floodwaters had washed out the main highway.
Around 1925 a milk distributing plant was established on Main St., one block north of the Forsythe Coal Yard. The manager was Alfred Mowat. The company purchased a building on Tupper St., Crescent Butter Plant, around 1932 and Mr. Mowat established his own dairy plant with milk delivery, later producing butter and ice cream. It was located on Main St. south. Alex Rey purchased the business later from Mrs. Mowat (1949). It is now operated by the Crescent Creamery Company who employ about 25 people.
In the '20s another dairy, the Willow Grove Dairy, operated by J. Henning, was also doing business in Portage. Mr. Henning sold to W. C. Donnelly who changed the name of the establishment to Maple Leaf Dairy.
The year, 1928, contained several items of interest:
Snyder Brick Company shipped two million bricks to Fort William for the construction of a paper mill there.
Alfred Babb was selling Voss electric clothes washers, ploto plane type, complete with wringers in his store,
Eaton's opened a store in a new location, the Burk and Andrich Block. E. Green of Portage was named the Portage store manager.
R. N. Rea purchased the furniture store and undertaking busi ness of E. H. Smith.
Island Park was becoming increasingly popular and a home for the superintendent was built there.
Premier Bracken and members of his cabinet came to Portage to tour the Cordite plant.
Brown and Lowry had the agency for the new Ford Phaeton complete with five tires and wheels (the ad. said), windshield wipers and snug fitting clear vision curtains.
J ames Richardson ran a sale stable where carloads of horses, which he had shipped in, were auctioned off.