|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 140 or Next - Page 142
proud to play a part in celebrating our wonderful country's anni versary.
The Prince Charles school, which had been opened Sept. 4, 1950, was partially destroyed by fire in April of 1968. Arson was suspected. The same month of the same year, Mayor Linden laid the cornerstone for the Portage Credit Union building, which had its official opening June 8, 1968.
Ruth Rebecca Lodge marked 107 years of active membership in 1968. Mrs. Norman Weber (a member since 1912), and Mrs. Charles Cole (a member since 1917) were presented with life memberships.
Portage Ia Prairie lost one of its old-timers in May, 1968, when Mrs. Pascula Geeregat, 217 Allison Ave. passed away at the age of 102 years; and the Red Knight, Capt. John A. Reid of Perdue, Sask. died the same month when his plane crashed near the Canadian Forces Base.
A twinning ceremony in 1967 brought happiness and enlighten ment to both Portage la Prairie and [oliette, Quebec, and in June of 1968, four of their dignitaries visited our city: Mayor and Mrs. Camille Roussin, and Sec. Treas. J. A. Desormiers and Mrs. Desormiers. Flags of Joliette and Quebec were raised at City Hall.
Dr. George Friesen was appointed manager of the Agricultural Research Station, located southeast of Portage Ia Prairie (1/2 mi. S. of the Curtis school), which is concentrating mainly on products for control of weeds, insect pests and plant diseases. The official open ing was on Sept. 11, 1968.
Another official opening took place on Sept. 18, 1968, when the Portage la Prairie Lions Club had the pleasure of seeing the play ground, 9th St. N.W., opened for the enjoyment of youngsters in that area. It has been especially appreciated because of the fact that it is the first playground in the extreme northwest of the city.
New schools are under construction, adding to the ones that are already here, and the children of Portage la Prairie, regardless of how many, will always have the opportunity to receive a good education.
By the middle of year 1968, building permits were up almost $400,000.00 over 1967! Which, of course, is an indication that our city continues to progress.
A tax prepayment plan was instituted in 1968; water meters were installed in the fall of the same year, with the actual metering not starting until the beginning of 1969.