|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 183 or Next - Page 185
an estimated 35 acres of gardens on the school property, and 325 acres of cereal grain land. The remainder is pasture land for roughly 180 head of ca ttle on the farm."
240 gallons of milk, which the herd supplies each day, is homogenized on the grounds and used to feed the 1 ,200 men tally retarded residents and the 600 or so Manitoba School staff members.
The head dairyman, an institution veteran, is Bill Garnham. Mildly and moderately retarded males help in the various aspects of farming, such as plowing, seeding and harvesting. Many have been rehabilitated due to this training, and the Institution has sometimes had a shortage of help.
As Mr. Peden said to Mr. Rennie, "Farming is a great way to build a guy into a man".
The Manitoba Home, or the Manitoba School for Retardates, as it is also called, is a big place, and it is impossible in a book of this size to describe it adequately and relate all the worthwhile work that is being done there. For instance, the physical therapy ward, where kind, patient people spend their days limbering up twisted limbs and crippled bodies.
The kitchen workers, the maintenance men, the laundry staff and the administration personnel all deserve praise for their parts in keeping the Institution running smoothly. Mrs. Josie McDonald, Miss Doreen Buchanan, Mrs. Della Gibson, Mr. Laurie Sproule and Mr. Ron Horner were mentioned, in one of the articles by Mr. Rennie, as having particularly responsible positions. The staggering statistics show that 56,000 pounds of laundry is washed every week, and onc and a half million meals are dished out yearly!
Many people remember and praise Dr. Harry Atkinson for the forward strides made at the Home, beginning in the 1930s and continuing on in the '60s. He was absent from 1940 to 1946 due to the war, during which time Dr. Morval Bristow replaced him. Returning in 1946 he resumed his work at the home until the time of his tragic dea th in the mid '60s.
At the present time, Dr. Glen Lowther is the medical superinten dent. Mr. Aimie Omichinski is assistant director of nursing services. And Rev. Sid Walmsley is the chaplain at the Manitoba Home.
Someone once said, "A picture is worth a thousand words".
The pictures, which follow, will be of interest for the sake of
comparison with the original structure. Note the attractive names given to the various buildings.