|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 24 or Next - Page 26
where the Winter Fair which is of national interest is held yearly; 15 miles from Lake Manitoba with the lovely sandy shore space and summer homes of Delta Beach; 32 miles from the Manitoba Agricul tural Museum near Austin, where thousands of people attend the Thresherrnen's Reunion each year; and only 70 miles from the U.S.A. border.
The richness and fertility of the soil, in and around the city, is attested by the giant shade trees, caragana and lilac hedges; the beautiful flower beds and shrubs on lawns and in Island Park; the vegetables grown in little back-yard family gardens, as well as in large market gardens; and the thousands of acres of golden wheat fields that provide food for the eyes as well as for the table.
We are indeed fortunate to live in a place of such beauty and in a land of such plenty. If Portage Ia Prairie should ever again have a change of name it might become "Paradise on the Prairie" I
Chief Yellowquill is one of the many names we recall as we scan our domain, observe our landmarks, and acknowledge pioneer tales in this, Manitoba's Centennial Year. He was a Saulteaux, born in 1832 and la ter became Chief of the Long Plain and Swan Lake Indians. He presided in 1876 when the Peace Treaty was signed between the Indians and the Dominion Government. Lieutenant Governor Alexander Morris of the Province of Manitoba was in charge of the Treaty arrangements. He was assisted by Hon. James McKay, who was himself part Indian, and by [as. F. Graham of the Dept. of Indian Affairs.
Chief Yellowquill and his band used the Assiniboine River for transportation on water. On land they travelled a trail which followed the Assiniboine River very closely. This trail started at Winnipeg, continued west past Portage la Prairie, Brandon, and into Saskatchewan as far as the Qu' Appelle Valley, Later, this trail was named the "YellowquiIl Trail" after the well known Chief.
Chief YellowquilI, with his long braids, was an arrogant leader, not always diplomatic and moreover not always co-operative. He had four wives. While he was Chief, the Indians from Long Plain and Swan Lake visited back and forth quite frequently. They crossed the Assiniboine at a point known as Indian Ford. At this point the river was easily crossed, but more important than the easy crossing was the fact that eagles nested there. This was one of the few places in