|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 250 or Next - Page 252
|· ..... "||.: good conduct is rewarded by distinction of|
clothing, and these methods, have in nearly every instance, produced good results.
A number of alterations and permanent improvements were made in connection wi th the Jail and Court House last season, all being done by prison labor. The old boundary fence was replaced by a new and more substantial structure. Sidewalks were constructed to the Jail and Court House, a new winter porch and coal shed erected, new well dug, and a number of changes and repairs made in the in terior of the Jail.
A number of prisoners were also placed a t the disposal of the officials of the Home of Incurables, doing work and needed repairs in and around the Home; altogether there were 476 days work performed there.
For garden purposes a plot of ground was rented, adjacent to the Jail and cultivated by the prisoners and a good supply of vegeta bles was provided for the Insti tu tion . . . . . . ... , ."
The report sent in the following year stated that there were 68 committed during the year, and only a few crimes were of a serious nature. By the end of the year only six prisoners remained in custody.
Officials at the Jail in 1898 were: Daniel McLean, Gaoler; 1. W.
Thomson, Head Turnkey; G. O. C. Gowler, Turnkey; Mrs. Cowler, Matron; and Frank B. Lundy, M.D., Physician.
Back in the 1880s (about 1884) a Central Judicial Board, composed of Edward McDonald, Mathew Ferris, Dr. T. W. Gilbert, J. J. Hamilton and George Claxton, was appointed. Part of their duties was to provide suitable and adequate housing for the courts. A Court House was built, around that time, on the site of the present hospital. This building later became the Portage General Hospital when a newer Court House was erected.
In June, 1894, Mr. T. M. Beamish, Brandon, was awarded the contract for the erection of the Court House shown on next page, which included an addition to the jail. The contract price was $22,- 544.00. The work was completed in November of the same year. The building is still structurally strong and is still being used as a Court House.
The jail, which can partially be seen in the background of the picture, had another addition made to it in 1930 - 31, in order to provide space to permit the inclusion of women. Mr. H. G. Ellwood' was chief foreman on this project. The women were moved from