|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 266 or Next - Page 268
He received his ed uca tion in
Portage la Prairie, and in 1916
his scholastic achievements were rewarded when he received the third Governor-General's medal to be awarded.
He served with the R.C.F.C. in the first World War, and in the second World War attained the rank of Captain with the Man itoba Mounted Rifles.
Calvert C. Miller read law with Meighen and Sexsmith and was called to the bar in 1921.
From 1921 to 1959 he prac ticed in partnership with his brother, Joseph C. Miller, under the firm name of "Miller and Miller". His sons, Bruce and
|Chief Justice Calvert Charlton Miller||Clive, later joined the firm and|
carried on the partnership with their uncle.
C. C. Miller always took a keen interest in his city and the wider community, and his work was recognized when he was elected president of the Manitoba Associated Boards of Trade from 1943 to 1945.
In 1946 he won election in the constituency of Portage la Prairie, and served in the House of Commons until 1949.
In February of 1959 he was appointed to the Court of Queen's Bench, and in October of that year was elevated to the Court of Appeal.
In March of 1961 he became Chief Justice of Manitoba.
JUDGE FRANK WRIGHT NEWMAN
Frank Wright Newman, presently Judge of the County Courts and Surrogate Court of the Central Judicial District, was born in Portage la Prairie, August 26th 1900, son of Thomas Alexander and Christina Newman, pioneer citizens of Portage. Thomas A. Newman came to Portage in 1877, originally as a representative of the Hud son's Bay Company, and from 1880 until his death in 1923 carried on business in Portage la Prairie.