|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 283 or Next - Page 285
after a snowfall, however. At one time they were a necessity, and were used (with cloths wrapped around the brush) for dusting walls, and beating carpets, as well as sweeping floors. They usually ended their usefulness as scarecrows in a corn patch. Electrically powered cleaning machines do a better and faster job which allows more leisure time for the housewife.
At one time people yearned for hours of leisure. Now it is a problem how to waste hours wisely!
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE POWER
Portage la Prairie was the first municipality to make application for power to the newly formed Manitoba Power Commission, and immediately, maps, plans, etc. for this line were prepared. Con struction began August 4, 1919, but was stopped again November 4th; the contractor refusing to continue because of added cost due to severe weather conditions. The Commission, under pressure from the members of the Council of the City of Portage la Prairie, took over the contractor's outfit, organized a construction gang and recommenced construction about the middle of November. The line began at the City of Winnipeg substation located at the corner of Stafford Street and Scotland Avenue, and ran to a terminal station built by the Commission on Saskatchewan Avenue at the City Limits of Portage la Prairie. Galvanized steel towers were specified with steel founda tions, the general design being three spans supported on a flexible frame tower, and the fourth supported by a square tower. Anchor towers were placed every two miles. Special towers were designed for railway crossings, transmission line crossings and trunk telephone line crossings. Steel footings were used except inside the City Limits, where special latticed poles with solid concrete foundations were used.
By the middle of Murch, 1920, the construction of the line was almost completed when a sleet storm with a high wind caused the failure of the steel foundations and part of the line was blown down, inflicting much damage to towers, insulators, etc. The effect of this experience caused a decision to concrete all footings.
A con truct was entered into with the City of Winnipeg for the supply of electrical energy, and on the night of August 17, 1920, full voltage of 66,000 was applied to the line. The line was energized for two days and then the distribution system of Portage la Prairie was connected to the Commission's terminal.