|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 297 or Next - Page 299
Their two main sources of revenue were monthly dances at which the patrons had the opportunity of competing in certain games of chance with such expert operators as Errol Brown, Gordon Irwin, Watt Newell, Bert Wynne, Jim Gibb, Ralph Rea, Don Deveraux, Sam Green and Dr. J. Kettlewell. It was a poor evening in which they didn't clear $350.00 or $400.00. The ether source of revenue was the commission from the sale of Victory Bonds every six man ths.
In 1943 the club felt they had enough money to start construc tion of the pool. A 99 year lease was obtained, from the city of Portage la Prairie, for land on the corner of Royal Road and Cres cen t Road. Even before the footings were done and the forms for the walls erected, shortage of materials and building restrictions imposed by the emergencies of war, made it necessary to stop con struction.
By the time the war was over, costs of labour and materials had risen so high that their figures for construction had doubled. Errol Brown, who succeeded Dr. Hamlin as President, along with Dr. Hamlin and Percy Titchener, met on numerous occasions with the architects and had them make certain changes in construction which they felt would drop the costs low enough that they could meet them.
At that time, there was no organized memorial to commemorate the memory of the boys who gave their lives during the war, so in 1946 the Lions Club organized under the War Charities Act were able to raise in the neighborhood of $11,000.00. This is the reason that the pool adopted the name it still bears.
An un estimable amount of voluntary labor went into fixing an army hut, that was purchased and moved to the grounds, seeding to prevent the discomfort of sand blowing, and many things. Jim Ham ilton, Bruce Jones, Bernie Dann, Don Bannerman, Ev Mackey and Foss Giffin deserve special credit for their time and effort.
The official opening was held in the summer of 1949. Rex Gilroy was President and the ribbon was cut by Charles Carter of Win nipeg.
Through fund-raising projects, a cement block building replaced the old army hut in 1967; two pools are now on the grounds - the large one, and a smaller one for little children; and a colorful play ground with swings, etc.
There are about 76 members in the club at this time, and most of the money raised by them goes towards running, maintaining and improving the pool.