|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 347 or Next - Page 349
geese and Whistling Swans are made at the Station too. For in stance, during the week of October 22, 1967, a flock of swans reached Delta, The flock was made up of 452 adults and 21 cygnets.
Anyone who has seen the documentary films that have been produced in cooperation with the C.B.C. and the University of Minnesota, is more intensely appreciative of the wildfowl research going on at the Station at Delta.
Burnside village, 11-8-1; (P.O. 1871); on Rat Creek (now called Willow Bend) was originally a Scottish settlement named by Kenneth McKenzie Sr., an early settler. "Beside the Burn" as it would be actually referred to by the Scottish folk, was shortened to "Burnside."
Mr. McKenzie attended the University of Edinborough and after coming to this country, with his wife and six sons and four daughters, settled for awhile in Guelph, Ontario, before coming west in 1868. (His family followed him in 1869 and 1870.)
He selected a block of land at Rat Creek, just north of the spot he afterwards named. On this land which he homesteaded, he raised registered Shorthorn cattle and fine horses which gained him the reputation of an admirable stock raiser. The terrain was ideal for this purpose too, with good clear water, grazing ground and tall sheltering trees.
The McKenzie farm has an interesting historical story. Before the first survey of 1871, and of course roads as we know them today, there was a trail from Portage la Prairie west which followed the higher ground. It crossed Rat Creek a little north of the present building site where there was a "ford" and later a temporary bridge constructed each year by felling logs across the stream at a narrow point. These logs had to be replaced each year because of the high water every Spring.
The McKenzie home was a well-known stopping place for travelling settlers and Indians and many a story is told of the hospitality and kindness they received there. Sickness often occurred on the trail and stories suggest that there are several graves not far from the crossing.
Mr. McKenzie was a man of whom this part of the country can be justly proud. He donated four acres of land to the Presbyterian