|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 349 or Next - Page 351
summer and the uncertainty of wages, teachers were happy to fill the needed position in Burnside, among congenial people who treated them like kinfolk.
When failing health forced Miss Harvey to quit teaching, she came back to Rat Creek to the home of Mr. Mathew Ferris where she had boarded while teaching there and it was there that she passed a wa y.
On Feb. 7, 1896 it was decided at a meeting of ratepayers, to build a new school 26' x 36' and that the trustees be authorized to borrow the sum of $700.00 by issue of debentures for the purpose. Indications are that it was $1300.00 for the job plus $110.00 to J. O. Cadham for the brick furnace installed.
This school served the district through the years from tha t time on. It is one of the very few, little attractive school houses that hasn't been hauled away to serve some other purpose.
From 1875 to 1967 many residents served as trustees on the school boards. They are too numerous to mention them all so we will pay tribute to the last school board who served faithfully for many years: Mr. Ralph Faurschou, Mr. Dave Roy, Mr. Lloyd Hyde and Mr. Ernie Askin.
In 1882 the Methodist Church was started. The cost of the building was: lumber - $104.77; hardware and building paper $105.99; furnishings - $49.22; brick and mortar - $9.25; shingles - $60.00; and painting - $100.00 (Compare those prices with the cost of building materials today!) Members of the Methodist faith subscribed $1,127.00 to the building fund.
Tribute was paid to Jonathon Troop who was instrumental in starting the church. Also remembered were his staunch supporters and co-workers, James Dunfield, Mathew Ferris and Elias Brown.
The first minister was Rev. A. J. Barltrop, and the first organist was Miss Bella Troop.
In the Presbyterian Church which was built on the land donated by Mr. McKenzie, some of the ministers were: Rev. Farquar Me Rae, Rev. Riddel, Rev. Jacobs, Rev. Pecover and Rev. Langille who served following the union of the Presbyterian and Methodist Church.
The C.P.R. siding and station were first placed one and a half miles west, opposite what was then the Ferris farm (later J. Gal braith's) and Mrs, Farquar McRae was the first passenger to get off the train at the whistle stop. Later, the station house was moved