|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 368 or Next - Page 370
Mrs. H. Brook says, "Portage Creek school was named after one of the historic routes used in the early days. As far back as 1738 the channel known as Portage Creek was used by La Veren drye in his expeditions by birch-bark canoe. When water was high in the Assiniboine River it was possible to travel to Lake Manitoba and farther on via Portage Creek without having to portage their canoes."
The famous Yellowquill Trail also made the area more his torically importan t by crossing this creek.
Flee Island is reputed to have been thusly named back in the 1860s, when Sioux Indians, who were escaping from the U.S.A. after the Custer massacre in 1863, established themselves in a fortified camp there.
They not only had U.S.A. retaliation to fear, apparently, but also a ttacks by their enemies, the Red Lake Indians. J. H. Metcalfe, in The Tread of The Pioneers says, ". . . . there is authentic historical record that Red Lake Indians actually besieged the Sioux at their fortified camp at Flee Island, where the Sioux Indians inflict ed great loss and the Red Lakes were glad to escape with the remnants of their party." Mr. Metcalfe more or less pin points the location of the camp as two miles south of the Flee Island school.
This school, registered as No. 527 was built in 1888 on the S.E. corner of the S.W. half of 28-13-6, on land homesteaded in 1878 by John Hancock Gould, but owned by that time by Marshall Tuck. (Mr. Tuck was the first Flee Island postmaster, as well as the only storekeeper to ever open a shop there.)
A more central location was chosen for the school in 1896, which meant a move of one-half mile east of the old site. In 1964 it was closed when Flee Island consolidated with High Bluff.
A few more names of pioneers can be added to the ones men tioned in the foregoing narrative: Ed. McDonald, the Owens family and the parents of Douglas Campbell, who is mentioned elsewhere
|in this book.||.|
N ames that can be added to farmers of the Portage Creek area are: F. J. McDonald, William Simpson Sr., Robert Brown, Fred Brook, William Dawson, John Cole, Geo. Lawrence, John G. Hill, Bruce Williams, James Mackie, George Henry- and F. S. Taylor.
Descendants of many of these pioneers are leading worthwhile lives and contributing much to the betterment of the country.