|This page is a text version of the History of Portage la Praire and Surrounding District. You can get a PDF copy of the book on our full version page. The PDF copy is an exact page by page representation of the original book. This text version has been reformated for the web and contains text recognition mistakes. These mistakes do not appear in the full version. The full version also includes each image in the original book.|
Page Index of A History of Portage la Praire
Previous - Page 378 or Next - Page 380
In Sept. 1968, 2,000 people turned out to watch rodeo events which were held south of Portage. Among the names of winning participants were some from Poplar Point: Russ Taylor (calf roping), Sherry Taylor (Ladies' goat tying), Russ Taylor (pole bending), Russ Taylor (men's barrel race), George Pirie (horse chariot race) and Jacqueline Phillips (powder puff).
Space and time does not permit the listing of all the activities in the village. However, one which is of special interest to everyone is the annual horticultural show. When it was held on Aug. 17, 1968, the entries were classified under the headings of House Plants, Garden Flowers, Vegetables, Children's Section (which was made up of both flowers and vegetables) and Fruits. Competitions took in Home Grounds and Children's Gardens.
The number of entries can be estimated by the fact that the list of prize winners' names filled two full newspaper columns.
Poplar Point has always kept pace with the times.
If any local histories are omitted in this section it is because material was not submitted.
FORT LA REINE MUSEUM
Portage Ia Prairie Chamber of Commerce and the rural mu nicipality have cooperated in having a Centennial museum built at PL 125. I t is their aim that the museum proper should portray the life of yesteryear, and it is gradually taking on that interesting aspect.
A church, which was built in 1884, and a school, which was built in 1881, have been moved onto the museum grounds. A replica of a York Boat was built by Maintenance Wing at South Port, donated to the museum, and is also on the grounds. As time passes it will be a historic reminder of the type of boats that were once built at York factory and were used by the Hudson's Bay fur traders.
Before the year 1969 is out, hopefully, a typical pioneer home will be completed and added to the surroundings.
While the museum is still in a state of development it is, even now, a place that houses many interesting relics of the past; a place that is well worth visiting.